X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new Doublepipes (double chanters) videos

I finally got around to making a couple more videos on my Scottish/Cornish Doublepipes.

I cobbled these things together from two ordinary practice chanters, so that I could use ordinary Highland fingering.

The layout of the chanters was inspired by Julian Goodacre's Cornish Doublepipes. I owned a set of those, which were impressive to see and hear, but they were very difficult to keep in tune, and I was never fully fluent with the fingerings.

Here is Highland Cathedral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ulj0mHG4yk

Here is the chant melody we use in our church for The Lord's Prayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQm4A4UR9yQ

If you search "doublepipes" you'll see my various old videos, done four years ago.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th December 14 at 05:33 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, that is absolutely stunning! I learned something just now. Thank you!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because playing with a single chanter isn't difficult enough, right?

Super cool videos and really fabulous playing! I really dig your low whistle videos too. As someone with absolutely no musical ability whatsoever, I'm super envious.
    Cheers!
    Bob

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of such a thing. Thanks for a very interesting post! I`m as impressed by your skill in "cobbling these things together" as I am by your playing.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys!

Here's the thread from years ago when I first started messing around with these things

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...hanters-58658/

Father Bill, as you can hear I ended at "deliver us from evil" which is where the melody, as it seems to me, comes to a logical end. However at my church we add "for the Kingdom the Power and the Glory are yours now and forever."

Here it is, sounding very much like at my church, but ending where I ended it on the pipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRm3M7zlJeM
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th December 14 at 09:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that very much. Very cool. Did you manage to get the chanters with the missing holes made in the end? I like your low D whistles as well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I was never able to get the chanters made. My negotiations with the pipe maker broke down when I realised that he was not understanding exactly what I wanted him to do- in fact the problem was with him understanding too much.

What I mean is, I wanted him to make his ordinary chanters exactly as usual, but just leaving off certain holes. I made the mistake of showing him these videos, which launched him into overthinking it. I know that he wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to tinker with the chanters (bore and/or hole placement) to try to get them to do what HE thinks they should do.

I've had many bad experiences with makers over the years making what they think I want rather than making what I say I want. Hard to describe, but I've found the best way is just to not say anything and let them do what they do.

So, these off-the-shelf chanters work great and I'll stick with them. Maybe one day I'll find a maker I really trust, and have him make exact copies of these plastic practice chanters, but in wood, with the missing holes. I have little doubt that, after going through the trouble and expense, I'll find that the new chanters don't work as well as the ones I have.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th December 14 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing this. Love you creativeness!