X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casual kilts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual kilts

There seems to be a growing demand for non-traditional kilts. We at Celtic Corner had introduced a few years ago our Day Kilt, which was pretty much a standard kilt made from alternate materials, canvas type that come in a variety of colors and camouflage patterns. These kilts still have the look of a kilt but much more durable as they can be tossed in the washing machine. Also much less expensive. I'm sure if one is out working or hiking wearing a $400 - $500 piece of clothing isn't the best idea. I love my 'Day Kilt'. Was wondering what other kilt wearers thought of this option. I know there are other non-traditional kilts out there but these seem to lean toward a more 'Goth' look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DayKilt S.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	23622

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RReid View Post
    There seems to be a growing demand for non-traditional kilts. We at Celtic Corner had introduced a few years ago our Day Kilt, which was pretty much a standard kilt made from alternate materials, canvas type that come in a variety of colors and camouflage patterns. These kilts still have the look of a kilt but much more durable as they can be tossed in the washing machine. Also much less expensive. I'm sure if one is out working or hiking wearing a $400 - $500 piece of clothing isn't the best idea. I love my 'Day Kilt'. Was wondering what other kilt wearers thought of this option. I know there are other non-traditional kilts out there but these seem to lean toward a more 'Goth' look.

Name:	DayKilt S.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	23622
    I like the idea. There are not many canvas kilts that are made with a traditional buckle closure and apron.

I don't see it on your site, so I assume that the Day Kilt is no longer offered, correct? I looked in both the casual and canvas kilt sections and searched for "day kilt".

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Reid,

Would you like this thread moved to your own Celtic Corner dedicated advertisers forum section?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Clay Weaver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Explorer kilt" is a great advertising label for this product. It gives one the sense of adventure and a kilting experience with modern material in alternative apparel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Weaver View Post

Thanks! Now that I see it, I notice it has snap closures and those fabric decorative "straps". Not real straps. I was envisioning something more along the lines of a NeoKilt, with trad kilt look and straps, but in canvas.

Name:	Picture019.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	23623

The Explorer looks like many canvas kilts available "out there", but nice to see the option of side or back pockets and two back pockets, not just one on the right.
    Last edited by California Highlander; 21st December 14 at 05:55 PM.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hot and cold on canvas as a kilt material. It's heavy, dries slowly when you get it wet, and IMO it doesn't really swing or hang all that well. I've not found it to necessarily be more durable than poly/cotton for a kilt that sees hard use. I love natural fiber fabrics but I'd be inclined towards cotton twill if I wanted beefy fabric or ripstop if I wanted something lighter.
    Cheers!
    Bob

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first AmeriKilt arrived a week and a half ago and is now right with my USAKilts Casual as a daily go-to kilt. I'm about to publish a review of my AmeriKilt (hopefully by Christmas Eve) complete with several photos. I'll be following that with reviews of my USAKilt Casual and then my SportKilt.

I have a quality "dress" kilt (USAKilt wool in a Celtic Nations) but I really don't get much opportunity to use it. I certainly won't wear the wool kilt to the beach or hiking about doing nature and landscape photography.

So, yes, you've got a good thing going in marketing them.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to the kilted world and had not imagined anything other than - I'll say traditional tartan without prejudice - until just recently. Seems my wife has become rather accustomed to a kilted spouse and she mentioned only yesterday that I should probably look into a kilt that I'd be less concerned about for general wear than the family tartan tank. Caught me off guard a bit, but have begun to search. So, this thread aptly timed. I do like the look of the 'day kilt' and/or perhaps an X-Kilt. So many choices, though a quality casual/daily wear (not quite rolling in the mud but not 'dress pants' either) is gathering momentum.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point of view Taskr. Not all of us are privileged, ie. without duties that require punishment to our clothes. (I must include grandchildren as a duty - labor of love.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast