X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Information required re. Grant crest & motto.

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the Clan Grant crest & motto;

Recently I acquired a mid 18th C. flintlock holster pistol. (It was most likely made between 1745 & 1760.) London proofs and signed Lowe. (James??)
    It has nice quality furniture of brass, and on the escutcheon it has the crest and motto of Clan Grant. (A burning hill-top (Craig Elachie) and the motto "Stand Fast".)

Now!......can any of you Gentlemen tell me who would be eligible to carry a pistol so marked?

I know the Clan Chief would be a possibility, but am treading cautiously here! I also well understand the arms could be procured for domestic use by the laird, for servants, footmen coachmen or what have you, but these are normally plain livery weapons, with a simple escutcheon engraved with the owners crest.

I am wondering if the pistol in question belonged at some time to one of the Chiefs of Grant, but don't want to stick my neck out too far and say too much.
    (Like the old saying goes; "It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt!!")

If anyone can shed any light on other possibilities for ownership, I would be most pleased to hear from you.
    I will attach some photos soon, but we are all a bit down with the flu at present.

I should also mention that the crest & motto is Not within a strap & buckle.

Thank you for your time and all the best for the New Year!
    Richard.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Richard. I am now up and running with my new laptop, courtesy of an 8 and 14 year old , I can now answer your question. I am so sorry for the delay.

it is very common for people in that position for all household goods---silver wear, cutlery, silver backed hair brushes, some sporrans, buttons, cuff links, snuff boxes, china etc. to have the owners crest on it----no need for a strap and buckle in this case------ and firearms would be no different. It is a custom that is still carried on today, by a few. As the item in question is likely to be a better than average piece when new, then I would expect that it would be at least a reasonable assumption that it could well have been the personal property of the Clan Chief, or at least sanctioned by him for use of one of his close staff.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th December 14 at 05:18 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply, Jock.

It is very nice to hear from you!

I thought as much, (Possibly(!) Chief, Or one of his staff) but wasn't sure if I had missed some other possibility. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

The pistol has now arrived and as I get going again after this bug, pictures of the pertinent bits will be forthcoming.
    It Has had a bit of a rough life, though of good quality when new.....better than most livery weapons, so I am cautiously optimistic!

Thank you again and it is good to hear from you.
    Will send an email to catch up on things.

All the best,
    Richard.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Micric For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I Used to be able to post pictures no bother,
    Something has changed it appears, as they are not compatible at present. Will get it sorted soon I hope.....

R.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Micric -- many of us have been having that problem since late-November. Steve will get it sorted soonest. Where in the world are you, by the way?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Micric -- many of us have been having that problem since late-November. Steve will get it sorted soonest. Where in the world are you, by the way?
    Without letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak, suffice to say that he would be a lot nearer you than me.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere near old forests, Jock?
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 3rd January 15 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thistledown,

We Do have some 'old forest' on the Land, if that helps!
    Actually for over 30 years now, we have lived in Western Alberta on the edge of the parkland and foothills.......being transported here in '84.

I note that you also are an import..
    Until I get the posting sorted, if you would like to see the photos, I could email them to you if you send me a PM.

All best,
    Richard.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    Thistledown,

We Do have some 'old forest' on the Land, if that helps!
    Actually for over 30 years now, we have lived in Western Alberta on the edge of the parkland and foothills.......being transported here in '84.

I note that you also are an import..
    Until I get the posting sorted, if you would like to see the photos, I could email them to you if you send me a PM.

All best,
    Richard.
    Phew! Well done Richard. I was going to have to lay bare my rather scant geographical knowledge of Canada in my answer to Rex's question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have left off answering Jock, just to see how you got on with it!

Did you receive the photos?
    I re-sized them for here, all OK, but they wouldn't upload. not compatible files or something. Will sort it in time.

-28C this morning.
    R.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast