X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bagpipe music for the American Revolution

What tunes were played by Highland regiment during the war? I'm thinking any period correct tunes would be allowed so I've got "Skye Boat Song" in my repertoire, and maybe a couple of marches like Green Hills which is a bit anachronistic but I'm stretching it.

Sheet music is appreciated.

BTW, it's because I'm reenacting in a Highland Regiment.
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are very fortunate to have a list of tunes played by the pipers of a Highland regiment in the late 18th century, the tunes played in the Argyll or Western Fencible Regiment in 1778.

The tunes were recorded as, in the original spelling (with modern Gaelic spelling, and English, added in parentheses)

Gathering: Coagive na Shea (Cogadh no Sith, War or Peace)

Revelle: Glais Vair (A' Ghlas Mheur, The Finger Lock)

The Troop: Boadach na brigishin (Bodaich nam briogaisean, The Carles With The Breeks)

Retreat: Gilly Christie (Cill Chriosd, The Raid Of Kilchrist)

Tatoo: Molly defshit Mahary (Moladh Mairi, Mary's Praise)

The regiment had two "duty pipers" one of whom took the first prize for piobaireachd at the Falkirk Tryst in 1782.

These tunes are what we would consider piobaireached today.

Likewise, piper Kenneth MacKay in recorded to having played Cogadh no Sith at Waterloo.

So, first you should learn the above tunes, if you want to have any claim to being period-authentic.

I would avoid Skye Boat Song myself. Isn't it a fairly modern song? Green Hills is from the mid-19th century, and is the air from an Italian opera, and is completely unsuitable.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The High Road to Gairloch, which has gone by several titles and claimed by more than one clan, was written in 1547.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm informed that Hey Tuttie Tattie known to modern pipers as "Scots Wha Ha'e" is of suitable antiquity.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I was under the wrong impression that those tunes were at least from the 1790s.

I'm looking into War or Peace.

How about Lord Lovat's Lament as a tune? It's from the Jacobite era but might work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    The High Road to Gairloch, which has gone by several titles and claimed by more than one clan, was written in 1547.
    Fortunately, I know that one. Might play that one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should, I think, make the distinction between tunes that existed at the time of the Revolutionary War, and the music played by pipers in Highland regiments during that period.

For example, Yankee Doodle existed at that time. But I doubt that Highland pipers played it as part of their normal regimental duty tunes, if at all.

There is, as far as I know, only one extant list of the duty tunes played by the pipers of a Highland regiment (which I posted above) and all are Ceol Mor or Piobaireachd. So, playing anything else is straying outside of the clearest and most reliable evidence we have.

There was a strong prejudice amongst respected Highland pipers of the time against playing anything other than Ceol Mor.

On the other hand pipers were known to play reels for dancing.

About non-piobaireachd being played by pipers in conjunction with the military, Roderick Cannon says this in The Highland Bagpipe and Its Music

"Today the dominant function of the Army piper is to provide marching music... whether the soldiers ever marched in step to (pipe) music in those early days is not known. Perhaps only the piper did so, strutting along in his accustomed way.

Occasionally we are told what tunes were played. In 1716 'when Argyll's Highlanders entered Perth and Dundee every company had their distinct pypers, playing three distinct springs or tunes. The first played The Campbells Are Coming, the second Wilt Thou Play Me Fair Play Highland Laddie, the third Stay And Take The Brieks With Thee'.

In memoirs of the Peninsular War, pipe tunes are occasionally mentioned by name, and they include The Campbells Are Coming, Johnny Cope, and The Haughs Of Cromdale."
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th January 15 at 08:33 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick, I think I have the sheet music for a few of the songs OC Richard mentioned. I'll dig around in the morning and email them to you.
    A kilted Celt on the border.
    Kentoc'h mervel eget bezań saotret
    Omne bellum sumi facile, ceterum ęgerrume desinere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of insight in this thread, thank you very much! One of my current practice chanter students is interested in Colonial era tunes to play. I will continue research and chime in with other info if found.

Cheers!