X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SCD at KK?

Good on you, Argyle24, I'll be interested to see what dancing mats are all about.

I will bring a USB stick with some tunes for Scottish Country Dancing. Now that I am teaching a U3A SCD class, I feel confident about teaching a dance highly appropriate to a Kilt Kamp. It's called the Kiltmaker, and it's great fun to dance.

Barb, do you have, or have access to, a bop-box that I can plug my USB stick into, to play dance music during the occasional down-time we may have?

And fellow campers, if you've got 'em, bring your SCD dance shoes. But any shoes will do really.

Can't wait! Gotta be patient. Can't wait! . . .
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled Ian View Post
    Good on you, Argyle24, I'll be interested to see what dancing mats are all about.

I will bring a USB stick with some tunes for Scottish Country Dancing.. .
    As a highland dancer, I will bring foam mats for practicing in case my options for practice don't offer much in the way of sprung flooring. It's better than having to dance on cement or linoleum if those are the only things I have 😊.

I'll be up for learning SCD - I've never done it! I know a few simple ceilidh dances, but my expertise is in highland only!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled Ian View Post
    Barb, do you have, or have access to, a bop-box that I can plug my USB stick into, to play dance music during the occasional down-time we may have?
    We can definitely manage that!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downtime in a Tewksbury class? I wonder what that would look like?

Now in my class I allow the students to take a break as they change the thread in their needles.
    I also allow them to curl up under their desks for an entire 30 min each day.

But in a Tewksbury class there is that dread ruler that is poised to come down on knuckles the moment they stop moving.

I've seen Harlan in tears from fatigue, I've seen Okiwan camouflage himself with Tartan and low crawl just to go to the little boys room.

She is always there, always watching, always, always.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post

I've seen Harlan in tears from fatigue, I've seen Okiwan camouflage himself with Tartan and low crawl just to go to the little boys room.

Oh man! I'm having flashbacks to KK'14. I'll be curled up in the corner whimpering under a blanket now. Be forewarned Kampers. It ain't no picnic.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    Oh man! I'm having flashbacks to KK'14. I'll be curled up in the corner whimpering under a blanket now. Be forewarned Kampers. It ain't no picnic.
    Reminds me of the memorable words of Colour Sergeant Vaughn in the film Zulu, when asked, "why us?" The reply of, " Because we are here lad, there is no one else." put things into perspective perfectly.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd June 15 at 11:17 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks Barb!

I have the vaguest recollection . . . wait! No, it's gone . . . a vaguely Spanish gent . . .

. . . My father . . . You killed Indica Montoya . . .

No, I can't get it, I know it's not right . . .

Hang on! Spanish gent, dangling off a rope - cliffs - like Guns of Navarone . . . and Little John was there, but not Robin Hood . . .

Ooh, it's so frustrating when the memory plays these tricks
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now in my class I allow the students to take a break as they change the thread in their needles.
    I also allow them to curl up under their desks for an entire 30 min each day.

But in a Tewksbury class there is that dread ruler that is poised to come down on knuckles the moment they stop moving.

30 minutes? AND we get to curl up under the desk? Sounds like I chose the right fork in the kilted path! As long as I have access to coffee, anything is possible.

There is access to coffee, right? Or should I plan on packing my Keurig? If there's no coffee, I may have to back out here and now.

Sounds like Roz from Monsters, Inc.....

I popped a email over to you Steve regarding options for ordering tartan. I know I need to get that sorted pretty quickly - Kilt Kamp is just around the corner at this point!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keurig - yes!
    Princess Bride - yes!
    Yummos - yes!

And I seem to remember that, the last time we had KK at Hamilton, Harlan was actually there in the mornings before I was!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember Harlan saying that he didn't want to be on the receiving end of "The Barb Look" which was aimed at all those who arrive on time.

Those of us who would stop and have breakfast or enjoy the campus on our walk to class got "The Barb Look".

"The Barb Look" is very similar to "The Wife Look". It can sear through concrete blocks and melt titanium. Anyone on the receiving end of "The Wife Look" knows that they will never be redeemed. There is no recovery from it. You cannot dodge it. All you can do is slink away in shame.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast