X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Looking forward to next one.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluescelt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all! It has been a long, hard, (and fairly expensive, in terms of tools) journey. I'm very pleased to see it so well received.
    I'm only at the very start of this particular journey

Quote Originally Posted by MNlad View Post
    Now I know why you were so excited about this project when we got together at the Wisconsin games. A great addition to your repertoire. I can only imagine what your work will look like as you continue to perfect this new skill. I bow to the master.
    I do look forward to seeing you and getting to talk shop for a bit each summer. I fear I may have been overly-excited to talk about it last year. You have my sincerest apologies for talking your ear off about it all.
    You'll be back for 2015, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Scott: Both beautiful and elegant. Impeccable craftsmanship, as we've grown to expect. Congratulations. If there is ever a sporran museum, it will be animated by some of your work.

John
    I would LOVE to see a museum of that sort! I'd spend most of my days there taking notes on the original masters' works.
    ith:

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, you are simply amazing. Fantastic craftsmanship! I love the Pictish symbols.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacEanruig For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    Thanks, all! It has been a long, hard, (and fairly expensive, in terms of tools) journey. I'm very pleased to see it so well received.
    I'm only at the very start of this particular journey

I do look forward to seeing you and getting to talk shop for a bit each summer. I fear I may have been overly-excited to talk about it last year. You have my sincerest apologies for talking your ear off about it all.
    You'll be back for 2015, yes?

I would LOVE to see a museum of that sort! I'd spend most of my days there taking notes on the original masters' works.
    ith:
    "Talking someone's ear off" demonstrates your passion and you don't need to apologize for being passionate about something you love. Obviously others enjoy your enthusiasm and are quite willing to listen.

You are a humble man, Scott, you are an original master in your own right but still learning at every opportunity.

Master boot/shoe maker D.W. Frommer II said "I consider myself a student of the Trade and believe that when you quit learning you might as quit making as well. But learning, and growth is a conscious decision...it always involves some pain and always requires effort and unwavering commitment." (Yes, that is the way that was written - possibly a typo in the original, but I wasn't going to change it)

Two talented, dedicated men - one shared creed.
    Last edited by Stitchwiz; 20th January 15 at 08:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stitchwiz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely magnificent! Very anxious to see the next instalment. Wonderful work.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 2015? You bet. I love sharing notes with you each year. Keep up the good work.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question of semantics; I understood that "German Silver" was nickel-silver (60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc usually), not "Sterling" (92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by mass of other metals, usually copper)... or is this german-sourced sterling?

Or that you are currently able (a poor word, damning with faint praise) to work in both?

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dale-of-Cedars For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-of-Cedars View Post
    A question of semantics; I understood that "German Silver" was nickel-silver (60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc usually), not "Sterling" (92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by mass of other metals, usually copper)... or is this german-sourced sterling?

Or that you are currently able (a poor word, damning with faint praise) to work in both?
    This piece was done in German Silver (you are correct about the alloy), the upcoming piece I am finishing right now is Sterling.
    The general announcement was for both the Sterling and engraving.

Sorry for any confusion.

ith:

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Well, done!!!

Daaaang, man! Guid on ya!
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Deil the Yin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchwiz View Post
    "Talking someone's ear off" demonstrates your passion and you don't need to apologize for being passionate about something you love. Obviously others enjoy your enthusiasm and are quite willing to listen.

You are a humble man, Scott, you are an original master in your own right but still learning at every opportunity.

Master boot/shoe maker D.W. Frommer II said "I consider myself a student of the Trade and believe that when you quit learning you might as quit making as well. But learning, and growth is a conscious decision...it always involves some pain and always requires effort and unwavering commitment." (Yes, that is the way that was written - possibly a typo in the original, but I wasn't going to change it)

Two talented, dedicated men - one shared creed.
    I am humbled both by your praise and being mentioned in the same post as DWFII- a man who's work I am always amazed by.

I wish he were more of a presence here these days. His work is amazing, to say the very least.

As for 'always learning'... I hope that I never stop. There are so very many antique sporrans I'd love to get my hands on to just study.
    I've been lucky enough to see some very early ones, but the Victorian era exploded with new styles, techniques, regional variations, etc, and there is SOOOOO much that isn't properly
    recorded or even, in some cases, documented at all.

If I had my way I'd spend 2 years visiting every old home, castle, museum, and anywhere else that housed an original piece. Taking notes, pictures, and, if fortune favored, touring the local distillery.

I'd write a big fat book about sporrans, Whisky, and the lovely local flavour.

We all have a dream, right?

ith:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast