X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J Walking Designs Mens Running Kilt - Review.

J Walking Designs Mens Running Kilt - Review.

I ran across this site http://jwalkingdesigns.com/collections/all looking for lounging/swim kilts.

They come in this green blue and also red plaids for $62 with free shipping.

NOTE: I think these are pants sized not kilt sized. My 33 kilt waist should have gotten a small - the medium is ok but small would be more secure if I loaded the pocket.

The text and pictures leave a bit to be desired on details of the kilts so I will try to flesh it out for you.

They have a full circle covered 3 inch wide soft elastic waist band. A step in kilt.

The material is, I guess, polyester spandex - she says "84% recycled plastic bottles and 16% spandex".

Being slick material, a little care is needed as the aprons like to slide open when seated.

The front aprons are near full width conventional overlapping (wider at the bottom - front and under apron) except the under pleat on the left of the top apron is tapered - wider at the bottom. I appreciate that the plaid is centered on the front apron - details matter.

front:

under apron:

The tapering of the front apron and back "apron" leaves the plaid at a diagonal for the sides where they are seamed together.
    No pleats here, but they don't seem to be needed with split front aprons and 3 tapered underpleats total.
    side:

The back "apron" is under pleated with a taper at both sides. Just under the waist band at center back is a zipper pocket - 5x5 inch. Enough for wallet, cellphone and maybe keys also.
    back:

UPDATE: I am back from my dog walk in this. It provides absolutely no restriction to my legs! I have the Sport Kilt Hiker and it's aprons drag enough to notice on my thighs, not this one.
    Maybe, finally a knee length purpose built running kilt that won't weigh down with sweat. The other men's running kilts I have seen on line are so short that I think they are just ladies kilts renamed.

No wind today so the Marilyn test will have to wait.

Posted in general forum because this is neither traditional or contemporary, its purpose built Sports apparel that meets most of the definition of kilt.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 1st May 15 at 05:45 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks rather weird with the fabric being skewed like that - and the sett not aligned.

It's good to see that designers are trying to diversify, but it gives a different slant to trying all angles.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very practical for jogging and not too short, but does the white lining not weigh it down a lot?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my cup o' tea being so different from what I consider traditional, but if it works well for you, then guid an ye!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I see, it looks similar to Sport Kilt's Hiking Kilt, which they say is microfiber. I have one and it's a great knock-about casual kilt. Just very lightweight which is very good on hot summers and very bad on windy days.

http://sportkilt.com/product/1061/Hi...ific-Blue.html
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anne, I thought it odd too to but I can see why - the underpleat tapers and wanting it to be seamless in front and back for free sliding motion. It would be nice if the stripes could at least meet. I'll bet that the original design was in a solid color.

Cessna, No lining, that is the back of this printed fabric. This Medium size weighs 321 grams or 11.3 oz.. Real close to legal streaking in this one.

Duke, I have the SK Pacific Blue Hiker which can pass as a street kilt. This one won't do that double duty. This kilt has the microfiber feel also, but seems thinner and a lot more pliable. I don't think it can really hold a crease - after I washed and hung dryed it the sharpness of the creases was gone. But I think, by design, it all still hangs correctly.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 10th February 15 at 04:39 PM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and sewed in the knife edges of the front and rear pleats. Now it doesn't turn into an almost pleat-less mop when washed.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, simple question. I run for exercise and to stay fit not for a fashion statement or to show heritage etc.
    This seems impractical and a step backwards for actual 'running' as it's a lot of material that's 'in the way'.
    I wear running shorts that are small/short/light for freedom of motion.
    Sport kilts I get for casual lightweight issues and for folks competing in the games...this I don't get.
    De Oppresso Liber

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old running shorts had the overlapping sides split to the waist. What they have now binds and chafes on the outer leg in a long stride.
    This is as close to unrestricted as you can get with only one leg hole. But watch out for the wind gusts. I wear this in the heat working in the yard and lazing around the house to keep better kilts wrinkle and dirt free. Then toss it in the wash with my shirts. It hang dries in about an hour.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the yard work gig but still not the running thing. OTOH I've never tried it so who knows.
    De Oppresso Liber

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Reiver For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast