X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went and did it now

I just order "The art of Kilt making" for my self. My wife and I were out and about yesterday, we had to take her sewing machine in for service and repair. She hadn't been able to sew for a couple of years because of two neck surgeries. Now she is ready to get sewing again so we thought we'd get the old sewing machine all tuned up. While we were at the sewing store she eye'd a new machine, she'd bought her current one over twenty years ago. I had jokingly said maybe she could sew me a kilt, she said maybe I should sew it myself. So I'm taking the first step in purchasing "The Art of Kilt making".
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you (and for her!). You really don't need a sewing machine to make a kilt "by the book," the only thing you might machine-sew is the waistband but it's just as easy to do by hand -- I find it easier to keep the tartan aligned by hand. As you know from several years here, there's lots of help available along the way. Dive in, the water's fine!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sydnie7 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't get as many posts from your dear wife as we could. She should document your adventures in kilt making. She is already versed on your kilt donning, ergo, knows the subject and object of the issue intimately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are certainly more courageous than I am. When you're ready, let me know. I'll be your first customer. I've always wanted an 18oz., 8-yard, Stewart Hunting Modern.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got an email from Barb, she is sending the book out today.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have yet to tackle a kilt but have read the book so many times, I feel when I get the right tartan, this will be easy peasy
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have vast experience hand sewing and tailoring historical garments from many years of Living History work as a so-called "hard core authentic". I'm too old and fat to participate in that these days alas.
    Having said that, I read Barbara's terrific book several times, and decided that every penny she charges is well worth the cost. I commissioned a kilt from her instead! ;)
    Last edited by Mike S; 17th February 15 at 10:37 PM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich,

Good luck and loads of patience are being sent your way. The few times I tried sewing anything ended with lots of my own DNA left in the material (buckskin, by the way). I will be able to prove my ownership in any court in the world now. LOL Get some good sturdy thimbles. Also, did you buy your wife that new sewing machine? If you did, she might be willing to help you with sewing? Just a thought.

Have a great week.

Tom
    "Life may have its problems, but it is the best thing they have come up with so far." Neil Simon, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Act 3. "Ob la di, Ob la da. Life goes on. Braaa. La la how the life goes on." Beatles

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedtom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that using a long rather than short needle and sewing by hand results in fewer redoings of seams - I did try several times to use my trusty sewing machine, but was never satisfied with the results, and after the first hand sewn one I never went back to struggling with the machine. I simply could not handle all the weight of fabric and get the seam absolutely perfect.

Perhaps I am just too picky, but being able to get the perfect alignment I crave is almost an addiction.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of ways to make kilts, but, if you use the instructions in The Art of Kiltmaking, you'll do all the stitching by hand.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast