X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Clan Parade Attire??

At the Portland Highland Games today we were lined up to participate in the clan parade. A member of the staff running the Games came up to us and informed us that two of our members could not march because they were wearing blue jeans. They had, she told us, a rule forbidding marchers to be dressed in blue jeans or cut-offs. Jeans of other colors were fine and girls wearing mini-kilts were fine (and I totally agree with that). I didn't argue because it was their Games and their rules but what I would like to know is if this is representative of other Games? I had never paid any attention to the dress of the parade participants but it seems to me that I've seen people in clan parades at other Games who were dressed in the items forbidden by Portland.
    Studies have shown that women who gain a few pounds live longer than men who mention it.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rick Y For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I marched in the clan parade at the Pleasanton Games with Clan Douglas a few years ago wearing blue jeans with nary a complaint. Of course, I cannot speak for any other games.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean like these two photos taken at the Grandfather Mountain Games this year...
    notice the woman carrying the Clan Tartan Flag, and in the second one, the woman carrying the Clan Banner? Hummmmm?

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW Rick....did you post any photos on the Portland Highland Games thread yet?

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the short term, your clan might consider boycotting the parade on the grounds of discrimination.

In the long term, letters to the local press complaining about the discrimination, will produce results. For the simple reason that yours was not the only clan discriminated against. Once it is out in the open, others will rally round with cries of "Me too". Keep saying discrimination and keep saying it in public.

It is the 21st century - such things should not even be thought about, leave alone enacted.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea. I have never seen one. However and giving due thought to the weather conditions, I would imagine that the men would wear their respective Clan kilt, or Clan tartan trews perhaps and the ladies some sort of Clan tartan sash over their clothing. I should also imagine that local"traditions" would be observed depending on what the organisers decide is appropriate. As far as I am aware, there are no hard and fast rules/conventions,or traditions at work anywhere on this. I really don't know.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th July 14 at 03:40 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their party, their rules. If they don't want blue denim on parade then it's "No Blue Jeans On Parade".

The only complaints that could be made would be if the 'rules' weren't printed clearly in the info packet that should be distributed when a clan or group signs up,
    or if the rules were arbitrarily enforced.

ith:

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with artificer and Rick (Portland's party, Portland's rules), but I sure would feel rotten about not letting a potential clan member walk with us in the Parade over something as silly as the color of their pants. I've been to several large games in the Southeast (Smoky Mountains, Stone Mountain, Grandfather Mountain) and we do like to have everyone wear a bit of tartan if possible, but no one would ever be prohibited from marching. I would work quietly behind the scenes to try to get the "no jeans" rule changed.
    [FONT=century gothic] [I]He either fears his fate too much, or his deserts are small who dares not put it to the touch, to gain or lose it all.[/I][/FONT]
    [B][COLOR=#008080][FONT=century gothic]--James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/FONT]

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bonniegraham For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I have no wish to be argumentative, but I don't think that "Their Party, Their Rules" works at all.

No blacks? No Irish? No Indians? No Wops? No Spicks? No Chinks? No Kikes? No women?

That's got to be OK, because "Their Party, Their Rules".

Sorry, but I don't think it is a sliding scale - it is an absolute.

I could agree that banner/colour parties should meet a dress code, but to stop clan followers marching who don't meet the code IS discrimination.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clan parade at GMHG is called the Parade of Tartans, and the clan info we received included instructions for this parade and dress guidelines, urging the wearing of tartan. But, as you can see in Hawk's post above, nobody was banned from the parade for wearing blue jeans.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast