X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My example is just the same all of them are if a word is taken in offence no matter what it its, its offensive . the word he used is what every one calls them and was not considered anything out of the ordinary at all and its far from the worst thing they get called.
    You must except that anything you say could be taken as offensive by any one and therefor when you are out you must stand in silence or pick your words very carefully taking time to think of every one that could be offended.
    The place that would not allow a kilt on its grounds you must all so except his reasoning and his right to do so.

I'me very offended by the word God being used in such a fashion so the lady must all so leave the premises . it was used in anger and meant to be express her annoyance at here child she must be worned you must except this as I was offended by her comments .
    Last edited by Norbo; 16th February 15 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbo View Post
    He used the word most commonly used to describe the Police a 3 letter word I that's a farm animal I wont use it her as don't want to offend any one LOL
    Well, in Finland we have a saying: "Name does not put shame on a man, if the man doesn't put shame on his name".

So, by using the word "pig", meaning the Police, your friend did not shame the Police. He shamed himself and made himself a "rightful" object of disrespect and laughter. One can be shamed only by his own words (and doings), no-one else can do it.
    The landlord might want to make business with people... People tend to avoid places they do not feel comfortable, and quite many do not feel comfortable at a presence of a person publicly showing disrespect to other people or a group of people. And yes, if the words were heard by some other customer, then it was publicly spoken.

Well, different country, different traditions. No offence meant but this is how I see this story of yours. And you asked to see comments.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I want to dip my toe into this thread, but here I am doing it...

I have to admit that I can see this both ways. Unless I'm missing something, the 3 letter word substituted for "police officer" is a word I would not consider to be vulgar or obscene. The way it was used does not seem to obscene either. Polite? Maybe not. I'm sure police, mayors, presidents, queens, and prophets and dieties of all religions, and anyone in between, have been described in public places with similar labels, and worse... without necessarily using obscene or vulgar language.

Obviously, people can be offended by things (verbal or otherwise) that may seem rather innocuous to you, me, or perhaps even most other people. It only takes one person to get offended and speak up, even if we don't think they should be offended. I do wish society as a whole was less sensitive to getting their feelings hurt. I also wish some people would be more sensitive to the feelings of others. Between those two groups the rest of us ebb and flow, and for the most part we manage to get along well enough without getting too ruffled about anything anybody might say.

At the end of the day, the person who runs a business will usually get to decide the rules of conduct in their establishment. I can't speak to the specifics of anti-discrimination law, which must be upheld. Beyond that, it's up to the pub owner/manager in this case, regardless of how innocent your friend's comment may have felt to him, or to you.

Personally, I think a threat to be banned from a pub for that kind of comment is a bit of an overreaction. I'm sure worse comments and worse language has been uttered there at some point. But somebody complained, and we don't know how that complaint was delivered to, or heard by the management. It's an unfortunate situation, and a lesson learned. It could be an opportunity to discuss exactly what happened with the manager and come out on the other side as friends, each with a better understanding... Or maybe it's a hint that this particular pub really isn't the place where your friend really wants to hang out. Just an opinion, from one kilted biker to another.
    Sláinte from Texas,
    - Minus
    Man · Motorcycle Enthusiast · Musician

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norbo,

Any word or term that is used to refer to someone that is commonly known to be derogatory is known as a slur.

And while using the word pig to refer to a Police Officer may be common where you live it is still a slur.

Slurs are a form of prejudice and bigotry.

A pub owner is well within their rights, in their establishment, to warn or even eject a customer for prejudiced, bigoted, rude, insulting, or abusive language or behavior.

Here on X Marks our Rule #4 addresses this same issue.
    "Posts or photos which defame, mock, ridicule, or which voice or promote prejudice or bigotry of any kind are subject to removal."

What you do in your home or when with your mates is totally up to you. When you take that sort of behavior out in public or into a private establishment you should expect to be met with just the sort of reception your friend got.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a general rule, try to stay positive.
    Do tell the truth, don't speak badly of others. There is just too much negativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why this forum is the place for this type of discussion.
    Last edited by cck; 16th February 15 at 12:27 PM. Reason: corrected sentence

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to cck For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Norbo,

Any word or term that is used to refer to someone that is commonly known to be derogatory is known as a slur.

And while using the word pig to refer to a Police Officer may be common where you live it is still a slur.

Slurs are a form of prejudice and bigotry.

A pub owner is well within their rights, in their establishment, to warn or even eject a customer for prejudiced, bigoted, rude, insulting, or abusive language or behavior.

Here on X Marks our Rule #4 addresses this same issue.
    "Posts or photos which defame, mock, ridicule, or which voice or promote prejudice or bigotry of any kind are subject to removal."

What you do in your home or when with your mates is totally up to you. When you take that sort of behavior out in public or into a private establishment you should expect to be met with just the sort of reception your friend got.
    Steve, interesting response. Thank you. I feel the same way about the word "Redskin", so there are many words taken out of context or are offensive. A person should use good sense in sharing and in what environment. I see both sides of this story.

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cck View Post
    I don't see why this forum the place for this type of discussion.
    Agreed. Thoroughly. I would strongly recommend the rabble move on and leave this discussion where it is. The OP received replies and answers to his questions from a fairly broad cross-section of the membership. I would caution that pursuing this much further might result in rules being broken if it results in escalating contention (Rule #2).

13. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to CDNSushi For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is still a kilt forum?!
    "A true gentleman knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't!"

Member of Clan Macpherson Association

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pipersson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question.

Norbo, your question has been answered and it's clear that the majority of the members here do not support your supposition that such slurs are acceptable. As stated, such languages, as you have recently discovered, is unacceptable here on XMarks, and I guess the publican would simply agree with our judgement.

This is getting heated and it's way off topic; moving to the Cooling off Corner.

Father Bill
    Last edited by Father Bill; 16th February 15 at 12:50 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12