X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old teacher spoke of the existence of numerous dialect differences, the only example I can recall is bord (table) being masculine in some places, feminine in others.

What confuses me is that the "L" in eile and feileadh are slender, yes? The spelling suggests it, anyhow. Perhaps medial "L" is always pronounced broad nowadays?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,
    Looking back (post #2), I noticed that I had typed "feilleadh beg" (now corrected) which would certainly give an "off-glide" and I am not saying that there are no speakers who use this pronunciation. This underlines the difficulty of deriving pronunciation from spelling when the spelling was developed to reflect non-standard pronunciation. (The same problem exists in Scots.) Added to this, there are "styles" of Gaelic - biblical/religious, official/journalistic, poetic, the pidjin Gaelic of the playground ("really math"!)* etc. Although it doesn't help with pronunciation, this might interest you
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/SQA-...tions-En-e.pdf
    Alan
    *So we may eventually have the new Gaelic word "riallaidh"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly both are preceded and followed by slender vowels so must be slender, so both should be followed by the 'y-glide' as in the English 'million'

However ell-uh is easier to say than ell-yuh so I guess became the norm among native speakers who had never heard of 'the rules'. Let us not forget that,

although Gàidhlig is now boldly resurgent among the urban educated middle classes, It was until quite recently an orally-transmitted, dying language of, at best,

semi-literate poor crofters.

Robbie

P.S. Riallaidh like the new word. A glance through any dictionary will show an abundance of 'Gàidhlig-ised' English words. Sadly, perfectly adequate Gàidhlig words

often fall out of use as part of this process

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiethepiper View Post
    Sadly, perfectly adequate Gàidhlig words

often fall out of use ...
    Agreed. One that annoys me is rum instead of seomar. But then seomar was borrowed from Scots chaumer which was borrowed from French chambre and so it goes on! Maybe we're getting off-topic.
    Alan

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiethepiper View Post

A glance through any dictionary will show an abundance of 'Gàidhlig-ised' English words. Sadly, perfectly adequate Gàidhlig words

often fall out of use as part of this process
    I've been guilty of that, when I referred to a plastic chair as cathair phlastaig, just grabbing the English word out of need. Our teacher laughed out loud and said that sort of the thing happens all the time.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12