X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, you didn't shear the sheep and card & spin the wool? Amazing what you're doing. Looking forward to the results. Welcome from the highlands of central Massachusetts.

Cyd is offline Membership Revoked at member request.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
    What, you didn't shear the sheep and card & spin the wool? Amazing what you're doing. Looking forward to the results. Welcome from the highlands of central Massachusetts.
    I read somewhere that "a true Scotsman is wearing the kilt he made." Sounds good, but I should have read on a bit before starting this project. They were talking about making a Breacan an Fhéilidh, not weaving the cloth and making a tailored garment.

This is only amazing in scope, and only sensible if you take it as a learning experience acknowledging failure is the probability. When I was awarded my Ph.D., a family member made a similar comment to me as yours. My response to you is the same. It isn't hard. You make it part of your life, take it one day at a time, licking your wounds along the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think industrial revolution assembly line. It's all in the planning, right??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, you can actually purchase raw, freshly sheared wool for spinning. I considered carding, spinning and dying, but as I researched weaving I realized that was definitely the step too far. Without good strong consistent yarn, weaving is a nightmare. I may buy natural spun wool yarn and try dying it myself in the future. For now, that just seems messy, doesn't really save on costs, and delays getting to what I am really interested in (the loom, weaving unique tartan and making a kilt from it.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Cyd, my hat is off to you. I have sewn all my life, and making kilts the way they have traditionally been made is something that I enjoy doing with Barb's well worn book by my side. Like you, I like to try something new, however, having watched my God-daughter shear, clean, card, dye and spin wool, I know that I don't want to do that part of the process. She uses her wool for knitting and crocheting, not for weaving, yet... I've spent most of my life on farms, so I'm used to dirty, hard work, but I will buy wool fabric rather than make it.

Photos are fabulous and we look forward to following your journey.

BTW,

from Owen Sound, ON
    Last edited by Stitchwiz; 8th March 15 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm with you. DIY Carding and spinning is really not an option. Not only is it messy, but doing it by hand is only an option if you are knitting with the wool. Trying to weave with amateur hand-spun wool would never work out, and then try to use the result in a garment as complex as a tailored kilt?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so impressed! I did take the class at Kilt Kamp and yes, if you follow the book, get lots of help online,you can make a kilt. But I am tremendously impressed with the weaving!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weaving is unexpectedly hard. The thread count of the weft has to be accurate and the weft consistently beaten to produce squares and keep a 45 degree twill line. Barb just pointed out to me an hour ago that even professional mills don't get matching warp and weft lines, so that is some relief. She also suggests that hand woven tatan works well (maybe best?) with traditional box pleats, so I am going to stop the current weave at 6 yards and do a 4 or 5 yard box-pleated kilt.

I don't think difficulty alone should discourage anyone from trying. There is a satisfaction from learning something new and creating something yourself that can not be had any other way. You will still have to get a formal kilt professionally made, but for sheer fun and variety I think everyone with spare time and a desire should try this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12