X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turks Head knotted sporran tassel.

Evening All!

I have had some moderate success making a leather bag for a recently acquired MOD brass cantle. I have adorned it with some simple leather tassels. For my next attempt I would like to make some "turks head" knotted tassels but have been unable to find a suitable resource to help me do this. Anyone able to throw me an idea or two?

My effort so far, attached (also, can anyone tell me how to show the picture, not the file?) :
    Last edited by StevieR; 8th March 15 at 12:33 PM.
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to StevieR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really turned out nice. My only suggestion on the Turk`s head would be to search the web. I have found some pretty good vids on various knots and braids in the past, though my Turk`s head still needs some practice.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that you'll need some very fine leather or other braiding material to get Turk's heads small enough for the tassels.

There are, as pointed out, resources on the web for how to tie a Turk's head. For your project, were it me, I would consider tying the knots around something like a dowel or pencil, perhaps using a needle. It will save you a lot of time to tie the thing close to the right size as opposed to working the knots down to size after tying.

I also think that they'll make gorgeous additions to the sporran. Do post photos when you are done!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Holcombe Thomas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

I utilized the Turks Head knot on the tassels of my latest sporran project. I used a single strand rather than the customary three however. The instructions I used were the clearest that I could find:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...10#post1275910

Here they are. I'm including full accreditation so it should be fine to post:

Last edited by Mike S; 8th March 15 at 03:28 PM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mike, the diagram is just the ticket. Congrats on your sporran as well. Fine looking piece.
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to StevieR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent! I've been thinking of trying My hand at braiding but was at a loss for how to finish the ends, that Turks head knot looks perfect!!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    Excellent! I've been thinking of trying My hand at braiding but was at a loss for how to finish the ends, that Turks head knot looks perfect!!
    For cleaning up the ends of a braid, if you have 3 (or 6) strands, try tying a 'wall and crown' knot- ties very clean. Another, if you are feeling super salty, is a star knot. A 'button' knot may also work.

Traditionally, turks head is best used as a constrictor knot on a spar. They can be 'flattened' and put under a deck block to act as a 'thump mat' to muffle the sound of the block hitting the deck when no longer under tension.

If you are a fan of tedious, under explained, overly complicated, hard to follow, but extremely thorough and complete text books (and a fan of knots) I recommend Ashley's Book of Knots. When ever you start to get frustrated, just remember that Ashley hung himself.

In all seriousness, its a great book- the bible of knots. . .
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way. - John Paul Jones

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Catharps For This Useful Post: