X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the difference?

I have been search the interwebs for fabric and I see different fabrics that say best for "suiting" or "apperal" what id the difference in these "Types" and what would be recomended?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you making?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way fabrics are advertised and listed are vague and confusing even to those of us in the garment industry.

Suiting fabrics may mean anything you would make a suit out of. This could be anything from a light weight tropical seersucker to a heavy weight wool for winter.

Apparel fabrics can mean anything. A ladies summer sundress is apparel and so is a man's winter overcoat.

Kilt fabrics are one of the rare fabrics where the weight of the fabric is listed and even this is not always standard.

It really comes down to knowing what you are going to make and finding a fabric suitable for that garment regardless of how the fabric is described.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    What are you making?
    I'm wanting to make a "Lesser" Kilt for work, but it is looking like time and money are not on my side. so I may settle for a belted plaid for a Renissence Fair in May

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need a slightly heavier material (nothing under 10oz) for a kilt. I also would like to state that the use description has little real meaning. I find myself sometimes using fabric listed as being for upholstery to make reenactment attire. It is always something of a gamble buying what you can't inspect first hand.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Sir Didymous For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan S,

I just spent a couple hours in a local fabric chain store, and left more confused than when I went it. Those descriptions really are nuts! LOL!
    ~Sean

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes see nice UK-made worsted wool tartan in fairly heavy weights being sold as upholstery fabric.

Except for the selvedge it seems like it would make good kilts.

Loads of them here, just one of many sites

http://www.sprucelondon.com/fabrics/tartan-fabric.html
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th April 15 at 07:18 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to do a Great Kilt for a Ren Faire may I suggest you look for a Tartan bed blanket. Not a light weight picnic blanket but one for on your bed in the winter.

You can often find them at swap meets and second hand stores.

Look for one about double or full size. A single size is too small and a Queen size is too large. If you can find one in boiled wool all the better.

I have one that I use during my history of the kilt lectures. It is a pretty good representation of a Brat. Shows how you can wrap up in it at night, keep warm out in the fields, and most importantly is incredibly easy and fast to put on. You don't lie down, you pull it over your head and take your belt from your leine and put it on outside the blanket.

Once I quite worrying about trying to create a modern looking kilt from it. I have found it is perhaps one of the most versatile garments.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos, Steve, photos ;0)
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our local Ren Faire people are careful to avoid recognizable tartans for their great kilts. Rather, they go to ordinary fabric shops and buy wool plaid which looks tartanlike. They do this for very good reason: our recognized clan and military tartans almost certainly didn't exist at that time.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast