X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. I'm more of a science/tech guy rather than natural history.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I'm the Chamber of Commerce this week…so…

The ride in from O'Hare to Downtown is on the CTA Blue Line…like a lot of cities, we've gone over to the transit card system where you pick up a credit-card-looking thing from a kiosk and put value on it with either cash or a credit/debit card. There are a couple of alternatives to the standard card which forces you to keep $5 permanently on the card. Check them out and see if they'll be more practical. The fare in from O'Hare is now a "premium" sort of fare at $5 while the standard fare on the Blue Line from any other point to another is $2.25…if you board the Blue Line downtown and go out to the airport, it'll be $2.25 but coming in from the airport they charge you $5.

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...ridecards.aspx

Accommodations downtown…well…from the sublime to the ridiculous cost wise. Just suggested the Essex Inn (800 South Michigan Avenue) to Benning Boy, who's coming in for an event. Essex is one of the places that my wife uses when her association needs a quick and economical hotel for visiting academics passing through. Lots of possibilities abound so check prices. Lately I have gotten offers through Groupon for some real bargain rates at some nice hotels downtown but you'll have to be sure of the dates because the windows on these offers seem kind of limited.

You will, no doubt, want to stop here:

http://www.iwanries.com/home.cfm

I'm a huge fan of the Art Institute so I recommend it highly. The Field Museum is remarkable. If you want to really visit these downtown museums, look into the CityPass…seems like very major city has these now and if you research the admission prices to the museums as separate items, you will see that it's a deal.

http://www.citypass.com/chicago

Science and technology means the Museum Of Science And Industry which is, I'm afraid, not located in the central area but rather in the Hyde Park area which is 5500 South and the Lake Front…that is 55 city blocks South from Madison Street (the "0" coordinate for determining North and South in Chicago). BUT…the is the Number 10 Bus! This bus stops in the Loop (downtown) and then takes a rather lovely run down Lake Shore Drive non stop directly to the Museum Of Science And Industry…if you have one of those unlimited fare cards you can use it for the buses and the CTA trains. The admission charge at MSI is *shudder* a base price of $18 and can run up to $36 depending on how many "special" exhibits you want to see…sadly, the German WWII submarine is a "special" exhibit these days. The CityPass thingy does get you into MSI but it looks like the Special exhibits are extra. I have to admit that I am a 62 year old spoiled brat because I grew up with these museums all being supported by Corporate Guilt from the big oil, agricultural and communications companies and all admissions were FREE. Thus you might see how I rankle at the though of paying $20-30 to get into these fine institution. I do maintain annual memberships in some of them so I get admission with those…paying my share to keep the doors open.

Getting the Chicago Rabble together is sort of like herding cats…we're spread out all over the city and suburbs and that's a pretty wide sprawl for those not familiar with what they jokingly refer to as "the major metropolitan area". Let's see how the group responds. I'm pretty close to downtown so I can run in on a week day or evening for a beer or two pretty easily.

For all of you coming to Chicago…the crime thing doesn't apply to the downtown area so much as it does out in some of the neighborhoods. You do have to be "urban smart" like you would in any city…I have friends who are totally Chicago streetwise who have been pickpocketed in Paris…so…one city can be pretty much like another. And always remember….when it comes to finding directions….

"The Lake Is Always East!"

Best,

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to auld argonian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ….and I'd offer to take any of you guys from the UK to a baseball game but my experience with having done that is that your average UK person could care less about baseball and I've heard quite a bit about how fast a cricket bowler can pitch…hell, we really just go to drink beer in the sun anyway...

Best,

AA

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to auld argonian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aah the U-505.... I fondly remember looking through her "periscope" (before her real one was found and returned to the sub) and pretending to torpedo cars driving by.

I think I need to head back and revisit an old childhood wonder, haven't been there since it has been relocated.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    Aah the U-505.... I fondly remember looking through her "periscope" (before her real one was found and returned to the sub) and pretending to torpedo cars driving by.

I think I need to head back and revisit an old childhood wonder, haven't been there since it has been relocated.
    Thankfully, they brought the U505 inside…it may have been able to survive in the North Sea but Chicago winters are, apparently, a whole other animal. The exhibit is really nice and provides a lot more information than the old set up.

Best,

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much Auld Argonian, that must have taken ages to type!

I'll be clicking links and getting information later on, if I have any questions I'll ask.

I'd forgotten about the Iwanrise shop, I'll definitely be making a visit. If I rememb correctly they also have a smoking lounge I may visit.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12