X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tartan Week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scottish pirate is Captain William Kidd. I'm sure I'll learn a lot about him that weekend. Arrrr!
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bonnie heather For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be coming in with family and friends. Perfect Pint, 123 W 45th Street sounds good. We went there last year.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Keith A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic MacGregor View Post
    Sounds like it is going to be a great weekend! We hope you all have fun! Perhaps you can tell us more about the Scottish Pirate Bonnie Heather?
    Better yet, is the story of Blackbeard, Edward Teach a English pirate hunted down and killed at Ocracoke Island, North Carolina by the order of Virginia Governor Alexander Spotswood, a Scot. The county, Spotsylvania where I reside is named after him.

I'll be marching with my Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society. Just look for the dandelion pinned to my Dixiecat Blue Bonnets O'er the Border!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    Better yet, is the story of Blackbeard, Edward Teach a English pirate hunted down and killed at Ocracoke Island, North Carolina by the order of Virginia Governor Alexander Spotswood, a Scot. The county, Spotsylvania where I reside is named after him.

I'll be marching with my Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society. Just look for the dandelion pinned to my Dixiecat Blue Bonnets O'er the Border!
    Great story! I love that the County has been named after him!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic MacGregor View Post
    Great story! I love that the County has been named after him!
    There is an interesting story to that Dominic. Spotswood would be called back to London as he had stepped on some important toes in the Virginia Colony. However, he was good position with the King and received a land grant in the colony. He petitioned the colonial government, House of Burgess in Williamsburg, Virginia to incorporate this area into a county. He knew they would never approve in his petition that it be named after himself, Spotswood County. So he cleverly used the Latin word Sylvania which literally means "forest land" and his request was granted for the new county to be call Spotsylvania!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotswood was also key in catching my relative (gunner William Ingram). A man that sailed with pirates Anstis and Roberts on the "Good Fortune" before and during the capture of the "Morning Star." The hanging took place on the 11th of June 1714, on the Execution Docks. The "Morning Star" was an immigrant transport vessel carrying Scottish prisoners and indentured servants to the Colonies for work in the tobacco fields and pine plantations. It was rumored by another relative, James Ingram, (a pirate that scripted a text on pirating during the 1700's) that the "Good Fortune" was part of Edward Teach's flotilla. The best source for more on this subject is a book titled, "Blackbeard the Pirate" by Robert E. Lee a professor from Wake Forest University.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Spotswood was also key in catching my relative (gunner William Ingram). A man that sailed with pirates Anstis and Roberts on the "Good Fortune" before and during the capture of the "Morning Star." The hanging took place on the 11th of June 1714, on the Execution Docks. The "Morning Star" was an immigrant transport vessel carrying Scottish prisoners and indentured servants to the Colonies for work in the tobacco fields and pine plantations. It was rumored by another relative, James Ingram, (a pirate that scripted a text on pirating during the 1700's) that the "Good Fortune" was part of Edward Teach's flotilla. The best source for more on this subject is a book titled, "Blackbeard the Pirate" by Robert E. Lee a professor from Wake Forest University.
    Fascinating history! I'm envious that you know this about your ancestry.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who are marching in the parade. The link to find the parade order and where your group is assigned to form up is here.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope pictures of all the events, from as many of you that will attend (especially Friday), are posted. I'm sorry to have "Pirated" the thread. Good luck on sales to all our members that offer goods to the public. We here know the quality and so should the population.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blackbeard was certainly a sneaky pirate!

Tarheel - I'm jealous of your very interesting ancestory!

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dominic MacGregor For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast