X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Small is Too Small?

I was thinking about training for the Indy Highland Games in October, but I'm reading articles saying that 5'9" is 'small' for Women's Highland Athletics.

I am only five feet tall and while I'm strong for my size, I'm wondering how ridiculous my chances are. The weights of the stones/hammer/sheaf don't scare me, but it would be extremely disheartening to get turned away from a caber because the judge thought I would hurt myself.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with the rule books (if any are offered). My sister was 5' 2" when she won the national Karate divisions in her weight/size class. Note: She kicked the butts off every 10 year old boy in the nation that year. She was a 33 year old mother with two daughters then and empowered a lot of single parents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, most of those women are pretty big and strong, so it isn`t hard to do the math on that, but if you want to give it a try, I say go for it! ( I`m not a highland athlete, and I`m sure you`ll be getting some much better informed opinions than mine.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the Phoenix games and there were quite a few ladies participating. You'd be in the amateur class certainly.
    If you are up for it give it a go but practice properly and safely, no knockin' yourself out.
    There seemed a great deal of athlete support for the ladies from the crowd and fellow competitors so I'd not worry about the size of the dog, just the size of the fight in the dog.
    De Oppresso Liber

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Reiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are strong for your size, then you are strong enough, period. And you can always get stronger with appropriate training. Moreover, strength is only one component of being a good thrower; technique is equally, if not more, important.

And no judge is going to tell you to stand down from the caber after you've completed all of the other events. If you are strong enough for those, you'll be able to handle a caber.

Don't let anyone tell you that you too small, too old, too weak, too whatever. Sign up, show up, and when your name is called step up to the line and throw for all you're worth.

You will quickly learn that the real competition is against your own best marks; all other marks from other ladies are irrelevant to your own progress.

Finally, why are you waiting until October? Find a game next month, and several more in between now and October. If you look around there may be a practice group in your area who will welcome your participation. Just ask and you will receive help. Throwers are like that, trust me.

Bottom line: Just go for it.
    The sooner the better.

Good luck!
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Martin Roy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it sounds fun, just do it. You will be glad you did! Even if there are rules like that (but 5'9" is not anything close to average so I believe it hogwash) Kick butt girlfriend!
    Last edited by Tartan Tess; 6th April 15 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot the part. They won't let me writ A
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My massage therapist is 5' and this year, while winning her weight class, came second overall in the Maritime provinces power lifting championship. She is what I would call fit and fabulous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it. You'll love it! Find a training group and practice. There is no substitute for getting your hands on the weights.

Last November we (The Tucson Celtic Festival) hosted the Lightweight World Championship, and let me be the first person to tell you that those "little" guys (under 200 lbs) can out throw many/most of the bigger guys!

Size and brute strength will get you so far, and can be an advantage, but learning the technique is the key!

Last thought...respect the caber. It can hurt you. Don't be scared of it, just respect it.
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are strong for your size, then you are strong enough, period. And you can always get stronger with appropriate training. Moreover, strength is only one component of being a good thrower; technique is equally, if not more, important.
    Sometimes I accidentally rip towels when I'm drying my back.

Finally, why are you waiting until October? Find a game next month, and several more in between now and October. If you look around there may be a practice group in your area who will welcome your participation. Just ask and you will receive help. Throwers are like that, trust me.
    Because that's when the next game in my area is. My work schedule is pretty tight, so I can't really go on road trips on the weekends.

My massage therapist is 5' and this year, while winning her weight class, came second overall in the Maritime provinces power lifting championship. She is what I would call fit and fabulous.
    Awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find a practice group to train with, and you work with them steadily once a week, by October you will be WELL prepared for your first Games.

Note that "throwing strength" and "gym strength" are not the same thing. While it's absolutely true that squats and presses and cleans will help you on the field, there is no substitute for getting your hands on the equipment and throwing it.

Throw. Throw, throw, throw and throw some more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast