X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

June travels to Scotland

It seems it is becoming a reality, Jennifer and I are returning to Scotland. Our first trip was 3 years ago when we took a self guided tour of the Highlands. It was fantastic though a bit controlled because we had to go from town to town without any real time in each place. This year we decided to plan our own trip and rely on our ability to find fun things to do. We are both trail runners, hikers (hill walkers) and bikers. We also enjoy good food, a fine ale and a dram of whisky to top the evening off. With all that said we decided to pick two areas to base from and rely on the rails and busses to get us around. We are making use of Airbnb for places to stay and have found some very nice places we picked for certain reasons. Below is our plans as much as they are. We will have three weeks to travel and enjoy ourselves.

Land in Edinburg with perhaps a day for tourist stuff. Rails to Inverness then to our first bnb in Kyle of Lochalsh. We found a bnb owner who is a hiker and should be able to point us to some good hikes and bike rides. We picked this area because we want to explore the Ilse of Skye.We plan to be there about 6 days so there is room for hiking, pubs and castles. If the seas are calm I would love to go the the Hebrides, never can have too much tweed.

Week two takes us via rail back to Inverness. Of course Knockado Woolmill is a must along with anything else we can fit in. We found another bnb with an owner that seems quite nice. We will be here 5 days I think.

The last few days will be a train ride back to Stirling. We want to see more of the area and are withing a short rail ride to Edinburg if we want to visit more there. The bnb owners in Stirling caught my eye because they state they like beer. Sounds good to me. Sadly after 3 weeks we will have to return home.

Ok here is the reason Im writting this. I would like to pick the brains of Xmarkers living in Scotland or who have visited the areas we are planning to see. From museums to castles to pubs to Bens to walks we would like some input of the must see places. We can look on the net till buggeyed but a persons experience is worth more to me. What is worth seeing around the Isle of Skye and Inverness. What is your favorite castle we could visit. What museum do you like in the area. What are good pubs and places to eat. We would appreciate all input.

Last is the question many has asked. I wont mind bringing pants to wear and will be in biking shorts and such but.... Will it really be inappropriate to being and wear my kilts. I was thinking my BlackWatch and perhaps one other. Will I be the source of "damn tourists" or will it be ok. I love wearing my kilts and do so quite often where I live. This includes everything from pubs, movies, theatre, and even daily shopping.

In advance I appreciate any input here, we are really looking forward to our trip. It will be sort of by the seat of our pants but we do well that way, we are quite flexible in our enjoyment of a place and our time together. Many thanks to all who chime in here.

Paul
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds as tho you're going to have a fine time......

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already done so, have a "wee" read of Jock Scot's post, "Two telling comments..."
    A number of Xmarkers have worn their kilts while visiting Scotland, including me last June. Don't worry about being taken for a tourist, as soon as you open your mouth it will be obvious regardless of what you are wearing. I ran into only one negative comment, and it was from a tourist, who was disappointed I was from Canada, not a native Scotsman. Just wear your kilt confidently and respectfully and have a great trip!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some of the all time must sees of Scotland, the most obvious are Culloden and Loch Ness, but Cawdor Castle, Fort George(my favourite) and the not to be ignored Clava Cairns all within close proximity to Inverness. There is also a fine theatre there too.

Hospitality is is something Highland Scots hold dear, I have absolutely no doubt that you will be made very welcome and of course wear the kilt if you wish, but it would be appreciated all round if you could avoid the " dreaded tartan justification lecture."
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th April 15 at 12:31 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take an Ordinance map and follow along as you travel by train. That way you'll know what you're looking at as you go.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relax, wear your kilt to travel and sight-see. If you are as comfortable in it as you sound, it is not only practical, but in my opinion the best way to travel. If you want to take in any games, this link gives you a list. Most of all enjoy yourself and Scotland's renowned hospitality.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple of comments....

If you're walkers/hikers, check this website out: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk. You'll find a walk for every part of Scotland that you visit.

As far as I'm concerned, you will see the best of Scotland if you WALK Scotland, period.

Plan as much as you can or set modest travel/sightseeing goals...it saves on wandering around and wasting your time AND sideways energy. There are so many things to see and do and whatever you choose will take up more time than first thought. You can't do everything, so plan in a way that gives you the time to appreciate whatever you decide to do.

It's nice that you'll be travelling by rail as it's well organized and gets you to places. Just for fun, check out what it might cost for a car hire....yes, more expensive in the summer but it would give you the unbelievable freedom to drive down the unbeaten track!! Surprisingly, buses will take you to wherever the train doesn't go and I'm sure you will find it just as practical.

Have fun!!

Stephan

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Stephan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hire a car, bear in mind that travel on the West coast of Scotland, in particular, takes at leaast twice as long as you expect or normally calculate.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Stephan, I just have to say, that is a very cool website!

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things are getting exciting as our bed and breakfasts are booked via Airbnb. Thank you for all the information given so far and I hope some more people will add places for us to visit. We will be in the Isle of Skye area for 6 days, Inverness for 5 and Stirling for about 5.

As for the people of Scotland, that is the very refreshing part of the journey. Our last trip was made wonderful because of the people of Scotland. Everyone was enjoyable to talk to and very friendly. It was a breath of fresh air for us and we are very muck looking forward to that aspect of our trip, the people.
    @Jock Scot .. I will avoid the "dreaded tartan justification" if I knew what it is. Perhaps Im just in the dark about that discussion and maybe it is best. But I will take it to heart and try to avoid it, whatever it is ;)
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast