X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditional kilt section and Colin and Nathan's thread in Members written articles.

I raised this point in another thread and thought that it would be more correct if I raised the point here too. So as a suggestion.

Colin and Nathan wrote a very useful thread with many even more useful pictures on various forms of traditional kilt attire and at present it is residing, in some obscurity sadly, in the "Members written articles" section. To my mind it would be even more useful if it were moved and made a "sticky" and open to members additions, at the head of the "Traditional kilt wear section"? What do you think? Colin? Nathan? Members? mods? Steve?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th April 15 at 02:08 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 14 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it would be a great idea.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your idea Jock. I say. let it be done. Cheers
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was quite a bit of discussion when the article was published. It was agreed at the time that this should remain as a sticky in the Member Written Article section.

With over 18,000 views I would hardly describe the article as "residing in some obscurity".
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 16th April 15 at 04:14 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I believe Colin @CMcG mentioned in another thread, we put it in member written articles because we were worried the Traditional Kilt Wear section was on the verge of being deleted. It was always our preference to have it in that section rather than the Member Written Articles section if that's any help.

If it could be moved to the subsection to which it is most relevant, that would be ideal, but I just don't want to risk it being deleted or lost to the membership.
    Last edited by Nathan; 16th April 15 at 04:55 PM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot speak for anyone else and I certainly cannot speak of any intentions that Steve has, or had for this website. I can however, speak for myself from what I see and read here.

Steve is right some 18000 views is impressive, particularly when one considers where the thread is placed. It is hardly the first, or second place that anyone would look for ideas and advice on traditional kilt attire. In fact, as we have seen in another current thread a member completely missed Colin and Nathan's article. And he is not alone and almost weekly members are directed, by those that know, to the thread lurking in the
    long grass. One can only wonder how many views there might have been and certainly much more useful, had the thread been posted in a more obvious place.

Nathan has posted here his reasons for placing the thread where it now resides. He has also voiced his preference for the ideal place for the thread to reside.

From what I see, there is a "traditional kilt wear section" here and now. Whatever the concerns of the past might have been are hopefully now, no longer a concern and I have no idea what the future is for the "traditional section", it is here now though and personally I can see no reason why that should change. Perhaps Steve may like to offer a view on that to allay Nathan's fears?

So yes the thread has been a success and that is good, but why make it difficult to find? Good is good and better is better and we can do better by making Colin and Nathan's thread easier to find by placing it, safely, in its obvious place----the traditional kilt wear section.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th April 15 at 12:40 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that our thread would be of more use in the "Traditional Kilt Wear" subforum, and formally request that it be moved there, please.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to CMcG For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot find any reason why this article must be in any one place over another. It is a type of article that applies to many forum sections.

So, as requested, I have moved the article to the Traditional Kilt Wear section.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

13. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Steve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Steve!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast