X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts4less Barva Harris Tweed Argyll/Vest Review.

As promised in another thread, here is my mini review of the Harris Tweed Barva Argyll jacket and vest as offered by Kilts4less.com.

I'm aware that a few members here had some issues with their purchase from Kilts4less/Tartan4less, however my experience was 100% positive. I dealt with Craig directly, and his email and assistance was both efficient and thorough, as well as lighting fast. It was obvious to me that they genuinely desire to obtain AND KEEP your business.

I won't publish the price, but I got a very significant discount on both the Argyll/vest as well as the Airmail shipping. The value for money on this was too good to pass up.

The package was received ONE DAY after ordering from Scotland to W.KY. You can't beat that! The whole affair was sturdily boxed, and came in both the standard clear plastic suit bag, as well as a black zip up garment bag. Nice.

The Harris tweed fabric is of excellent quality. I rather fancy this tweed color and herringbone pattern, which is why I decided to experiment with this vendor and add this one to my hoard. I needed another one like a hole in the head, but so it goes.

Fit and finish is crisp and as good as one could expect off the rack, and fitted to a beer barrel torso (blame my gluttony on the German side of my family tree. I do!). Craig suggested that a 48 was a better fit for my 50" chest as these run a bit big. He was correct in this regard with both the jacket and the vest. The lining is perhaps a bit thin (a faux Satin acetate), but well finished and actually a God send for this fat guy in the hot South. I can see this being wearable during the slightly warmer fall weather we often suffer during the local Highland Games. The hang and construction of the garment is handsome, but without an excess of padding and interfacing that makes such a wool garment too toasty for those of us down South.

The only alterations that I personally made (In a former life, I handmade beau coup accurate living history reproduction garments) was to shorten the sleeves for an optimal fit, and to reposition the gauntlet cuff and scalloped pocket buttons so that they sit directly over the integral faux "Piping", and not off to the side as originally presented.

I see no issues with this being a "SAXON" suit cut regarding the cut away for the sporran,length of the skirt etc. It fits like my other, bespoke argylls.

Craig gave me the name of the manufacturer they contract with for these, and they are indeed made in the U.K. The usual red flags one sees with Sialkot Pakistan made garments are completely absent. I saw a lot of those among the less than accurate types in the Living History/Reenacting field, and this is certainly not a product from those manufacturers.

Forgive me for not donning the full kilt and regalia for the snapshots, but I wanted to get this up quickly before heading out for the day without dragging out the full kit.

Bottom line, I am very pleased with the product, have paid much more for far less, and the service couldn't be beat. I will definitely order from them again.

The jacket as it appears on their website:

And on my fat a** :

Last edited by Mike S; 15th May 15 at 01:26 PM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mike. I believe you'll be pleased for many a year with that combo, coat and vest. It doesn't seem to restrict you too much through the chest or waist but I can see how it may be too hot for the Summer. Good for you.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for your review!

I've been looking at those on Ebay for some time now... and looking... and looking, and wondering if the tailoring was done in the UK or overseas (obviously the fabric is UK made).

I notice the colouring in your photos appears much more complex and pleasing than in the Ebay photos I've seen.

I too have a more or less tubular body so the "boxy" cut would suit me just fine. It fits you great! Odd that the sizes run large, because I've usually encountered the opposite with Scottish jackets. With US clothes I wear a 48, with Scottish a 50, usually.

Thanks again! Richard

PS I talked to a woman at Kilts4Less over the phone the other day about ex-hire kilts. They don't list the sizes on their Ebay listings and want the buyer to give them a call. I might, just might, get a nice deal on a Spirit Of Scotland ex-hire kilt.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th April 15 at 05:17 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I see and have purchased argyll and vest combos from a wide variety of sources, with equally varied pricing. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in cut and quality among all but the most budget priced sets (which is usually quite low on the lesser tier offerings), and we have been told via a merchant or two on this very forum that there are only a precious few manufacturers who are supplying the whole lot of them. I have a few bespoke made jackets from the most esteemed retailers, and with the exception of one extraordinary well crafted example, they don't have much more if anything to offer that justifies the higher price paid.

These Kilts4less argylls are better in quality than the majority I have examined (and owned), and they come in a wider, more interesting variety of authentic Harris tweeds than most of the offerings from the big retailers in the business. But for far below the cost one would expect for this quality. That combined with the superlative service makes this a very easy and tempting choice.

I have zero experience with their other products, but if they are anything like the jacket you will be pleased. As I said, I will indeed be ordering from them again.
    Last edited by Mike S; 27th April 15 at 05:46 PM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW Richard,

We are both pipers, and you will find the fit at the arm/shoulder seam doesn't bind up while playing either.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great review!
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also had a great experience with Kilts For Less love these guys. I ordered a Prince Charley and a Black Watch kilt. They were both ordered as X higher. I was informed that they did not have my size but would have some very soon. When they arrived the packaging was great and both garments apear to be brand new and never used at an X hired price. You bet ill be back.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LongShanks For This Useful Post: