X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacobite era tartans still in use today

We've touched on the subject of surviving Jacobite era tartans over the years. Here's an off the top of my head list of tartans that have clan names and which can definitely be dated to the mid-18th century.

42nd or Government (now Camplbell, Sutherland etc)
    Campbell of Ardmaddie
    Campbell of Lochlane
    Fraser of Altyre
    Fraser of Boblainy
    Glenorchy
    Grant, Champion & Piper
    Mar, Red
    MacColl
    MacDonald of Borrodale
    MacDonald of Glenaladale
    MacDonald of Kingsburgh
    MacDonald, Lord of the Isles - Green
    MacDonald, Lord of the Isles - Red
    MacDougall
    MacGregor of Glengyle
    MacKintosh
    MacQuarrie
    MacQuarrie
    Moray of Abercairney
    Murray of Ochtertyre
    Murray of Tullibardine
    Stewart, Royal

There'll be one or two that I've missed. To this list one can add to this a number of Unnamed Tartans taken from surviving clothes and specimens. Not too many compared with the over 8000 setts on record today.
    Last edited by figheadair; 5th July 15 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Additonsd

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Drummond of Perth? How far back does that design go?

Thanks for the list. It's pretty cool.

A few of those appear in 18th century portraits which are familiar to me. It would be nice to have the tartans sorted by source

1) taken from a portrait painted prior to 1746

2) taken from a piece of surviving cloth known to date to before 1746

3) ?? what other specific sources of tartan designs exist? Pre-1746 thread counts written down by a weaver?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting! figheadair, could you give us some details on the MacQuarrie tartan being dated to mid-18th century? The references in the Scottish Register of Tartans don't seem to go back further than early 19th.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What about Drummond of Perth? How far back does that design go?

Thanks for the list. It's pretty cool.

A few of those appear in 18th century portraits which are familiar to me. It would be nice to have the tartans sorted by source

1) taken from a portrait painted prior to 1746

2) taken from a piece of surviving cloth known to date to before 1746

3) ?? what other specific sources of tartan designs exist? Pre-1746 thread counts written down by a weaver?
    Richard, the Drummond of Perth was a Wilsons' pattern and cannot be dated earlier than c1775; see my paper of the Stewart of Fingask for more info.

I have the list in Excel which means that it is a simple task to reank them according to your 1 and 2 but I would broaden 1 to c1765 which would include the early Proscription period but before Wilsons got going.

Before c1775 there are no other sources of tartan records other than those in groups 1 and 2. There are certainly no known weaver's records until Wilsons' from the latye 1700s.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Interesting! figheadair, could you give us some details on the MacQuarrie tartan being dated to mid-18th century? The references in the Scottish Register of Tartans don't seem to go back further than early 19th.
    Both the Cockburn (1810) and Highland Society of London (1816) collections contain samples of MacQuarrie, not those generally worn today, that are pieces typical of rural woven cloth rather than Wilsons' material which makes up the majority of both collections. The patterns differ but in both cases the rustic specimens are woven with hand-spun singles (non-plied yarn) and have herringbone selvedges. The material and setting in both specimens is consistent with Highland cloth of the mid-18th century hence their inclusion in my list. Here's the HSL specimen.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look of that salvage.
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Both the Cockburn (1810) and Highland Society of London (1816) collections contain samples of MacQuarrie, not those generally worn today, that are pieces typical of rural woven cloth rather than Wilsons' material which makes up the majority of both collections. The patterns differ but in both cases the rustic specimens are woven with hand-spun singles (non-plied yarn) and have herringbone selvedges. The material and setting in both specimens is consistent with Highland cloth of the mid-18th century hence their inclusion in my list. Here's the HSL specimen.

That's some deep tartan knowledge. After looking up those sources it appears that in the early 1800s, the Highland Society of London (of which Cockburn was a member), actually went to the clan chiefs and asked what their tartan was. The last chief of the Clan MacQuarrie died in 1818 and, the chiefdom having been vacant for nearly 200 years, this is an important historical point for clansmen. The most commonly seen MacQuarrie tartan is actually quite different from the one authorized by the last chief.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    That's some deep tartan knowledge. After looking up those sources it appears that in the early 1800s, the Highland Society of London (of which Cockburn was a member), actually went to the clan chiefs and asked what their tartan was. The last chief of the Clan MacQuarrie died in 1818 and, the chiefdom having been vacant for nearly 200 years, this is an important historical point for clansmen. The most commonly seen MacQuarrie tartan is actually quite different from the one authorized by the last chief.
    Gen. David Stewart of Garth was the driver to gather the Society's tartan collection. He was taken by the idea of clan tartans even though he and the majority of chiefs had no idea of what they wore in the 18th century. As a result, many chiefs went to Wilsons to ask them what they should be wearing. Wilsons' comments on a number of tartans supports the recent adoption of tartans by particular clans. The MacQuarrie sample is one of a very small number that were gathered in the Highlands rather than supplied by a commercial weaving firm..

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread peaked my interest in the Colquhoun tartan. I found this site: http://www.helensburgh-heritage.co.u...ons&Itemid=461

I don't see any mention of a surviving swatch but the story was compelling enough to post.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    This thread peaked my interest in the Colquhoun tartan. I found this site: http://www.helensburgh-heritage.co.u...ons&Itemid=461

I don't see any mention of a surviving swatch but the story was compelling enough to post.
    An interesting article. I know the author; we agree on some things but not others; I'm driven by evidence. This is the key phrase ". The pattern was listed with Wilsons as “superfine” and was therefore likely to have been regarded as a clan tartan prior to the end of the eighteenth century."

Superfine was a quality of cloth woven by Wilsons of Bannockburn c1800-40. Wilsons gave no evidence to support the idea that they regarded thks a clan tartan. The author of the article believes that there clan tartans in the mid-18th century; an idea I fundanemtally disagree with. There is no evidence for the Colquhoun tartan before c1800.
    Last edited by figheadair; 5th July 15 at 10:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast