X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to "get it"...

.... just "starting", eh?

I have a couple of friends who are pipers and two or three of them are quite good. A couple are Grade Three pipers, one is probably going to move up to Grade Two after this year. I've come to appreciate pipes in a way that I certainly did not, say, seven years ago. However, because of the nature of pipes, you can't articulate notes like a clarinet or flute player can. Instead, there's sophisticated fingerwork that is used to delineate...for example.... repeated notes.

OK, so I listen to my friends and as they develop, I start to notice how more musical, perhaps "lyrical"....certainly "unencumbered" the phrases become. The sound becomes more than an "ambiance of drones and notes" as their skills develop. Now, I certainly enjoy the "ambiance" but as a woodwind player, I want to hear musical phrases. As a very, very GENERAL rule, with the vast majority of pipers I hear, those phrases are "there", but they're chopped up pretty drastically by the necessity of the fast fingerwork needed to provide articulation.

However, at Woodland a couple of weekends ago, OCRichard came by the MacNaughton tent and played a new-to-him set of chamber pipes. THAT was a joy to listen to. Richards fingerwork does NOT get in the way of the phrasing, it CREATES the phrasing.

And now I "get" at least one small part of the difference between a **Really Good Piper** and a Good Piper. I really enjoyed that, it was a bit of a revelation.

Thanks, Richard!
    Last edited by Alan H; 6th May 15 at 11:17 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds as if the next level of listening for you will be connoisseur.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    .... just "starting", eh?

I have a couple of friends who are pipers and two or three of them are quite good. A couple are Grade Three pipers, one is probably going to move up to Grade Two after this year. I've come to appreciate pipes in a way that I certainly did not, say, seven years ago. However, because of the nature of pipes, you can't articulate notes like a clarinet or flute player can. Instead, there's sophisticated fingerwork that is used to delineate...for example.... repeated notes.

OK, so I listen to my friends and as they develop, I start to notice how more musical, perhaps "lyrical"....certainly "unencumbered" the phrases become. The sound becomes more than an "ambiance of drones and notes" as their skills develop. Now, I certainly enjoy the "ambiance" but as a woodwind player, I want to hear musical phrases. As a very, very GENERAL rule, with the vast majority of pipers I hear, those phrases are "there", but they're chopped up pretty drastically by the necessity of the fast fingerwork needed to provide articulation.

However, at Woodland a couple of weekends ago, OCRichard came by the MacNaughton tent and played a new-to-him set of chamber pipes. THAT was a joy to listen to. Richards fingerwork does NOT get in the way of the phrasing, it CREATES the phrasing.

And now I "get" at least one small part of the difference between a **Really Good Piper** and a Good Piper. I really enjoyed that, it was a bit of a revelation.

Thanks, Richard!
    I enjoyed reading this post a lot and look forward to hearing Richard play sometime.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks! I appreciate that very much.

My piping career has been, let's say, spotty. I'm in no danger of winning a Gold Medal, nor have I ever been!

I will say that, nearly from the get-go, I had the good fortune of being surrounded by pipers far better than I. My start on the pipes couldn't have been less promising: I was a teenager living out in a desert (literally, surrounded by sand dunes and roadrunners and coyotes and palm trees) with no-one around for guidance, and no internet then! So on my own, armed with a practice chanter and the COP Green Book and the Donald MacLeod albums, I took to hacking away. I practiced fanatically. It was two steps forward, one step back. Ever after I've told people "don't do what I did! Get a good teacher!"

And three years after I got my first practice chanter I was playing in a Grade Two band, far over my head, surrounded by guys who had won Silver Chanters and who were piping judges and so forth.

And I spent a fantastic two years, in 2005 and 2006, playing in a very good band led by Steve Megarity (ex-FMM), until most of the pipe corps quit and went over to the Grade One LA Scots. Once again I was far over my head, but I benefited greatly from Steve's emphasis on the music, and wanting the ornaments de-emphasised in favour of the phrasing, exactly as you describe.

I'm just a lowly Grade Four piper playing in a decent Grade Four band, nowadays!

BTW now it's 40 years on the Highland pipes for me, and 35 years on the uilleann pipes.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th May 15 at 06:26 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love hearing the pipes played well. There is certainly a musicality of hearing someone that knows what they are doing compared to not; probably more so than many other instruments. Were I to win the lotto, I think I would hire my good friend Jeremy (a rather excellent piper) to pipe full time for me and my household. Totally frivolous, but totally cool!!

Here are a couple photos of him piping at the house this past weekend while we hung out and had drams.

Vestis virum reddit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a beautiful setting, in which to hear beautiful music!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: