X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with Jock.
    You should also remember that a clan badge legally has a heraldic significance (which tartan does not).
    Alan

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with both simply not overdoing it with the clan identification, and with being aware of the heraldic/legal implications of the badge. I've never sworn an oath to the Clan or a Chief and am wary of wearing anything that might seem to imply a duty of loyalty to someone I don't plan on being loyal too.

That said, I've sworn plenty of oaths to the US Constitution and the laws of my homestate of Maryland. So I wear this badge on my balmoral (a laureled MD Coat surmounted by Federal Eagle).
    Last edited by David Bohannon; 1st July 15 at 01:26 PM. Reason: [add image]

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to David Bohannon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this thread looking for exactly the headgear information I found here. Thinking of finding a GlenGarry and using my class A uniform hat badge. I'm now comfortable doing that if find one I like. Thank you rabble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted firefighter View Post
    Found this thread looking for exactly the headgear information I found here. Thinking of finding a GlenGarry and using my class A uniform hat badge. I'm now comfortable doing that if find one I like. Thank you rabble.
    I had the same thought so dug thru my box of insignia. I found my warrant office cap device but not my commissioned officer one. I bought one on USAMM.com. The back has a screw post that goes thru a grommet in the service cap and a single sharp pin above meant to keep it from rotating. I'll cut those off and epoxy a broach pin on the back.

I also am considering using my aviator wings

Last edited by Knouse; 16th November 15 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked (after seeing knouse's cap badge) what my badge would look like on the glengarry. Here's a photo. I'll leave it on my kilt as a pin. The antiqued finish just doesn't work on black.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    The antiqued finish just doesn't work on black.
    I think it does, but to each his own.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    The antiqued finish just doesn't work on black.
    You can get that device in bright

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Knouse For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knouse View Post
    I had the same thought so dug thru my box of insignia. I found my warrant office cap device but not my commissioned officer one. I bought one on USAMM.com. The back has a screw post that goes thru a grommet in the service cap and a single sharp pin above meant to keep it from rotating. I'll cut those off and epoxy a broach pin on the back.

I also am considering using my aviator wings

And now I lament that I am only enlisted; my service cap insignia would look terrible with the brass back, and my eagle is much too small to use. Likewise, my Cross Pistols (MP here) would also be too small (and I'm using them as a tie tack), and I am hesitant to order officer ones since I am not an officer. My MP badge would just look outlandish. So, as much as I would like to have some kind of military identifier on my cap it doesn't seem like I can.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    And now I lament that I am only enlisted; my service cap insignia would look terrible with the brass back, and my eagle is much too small to use. Likewise, my Cross Pistols (MP here) would also be too small (and I'm using them as a tie tack), and I am hesitant to order officer ones since I am not an officer. My MP badge would just look outlandish. So, as much as I would like to have some kind of military identifier on my cap it doesn't seem like I can.
    I hear you. I considered using my enlisted cap badge with blue infantry disc, but it's just looks a bit small. The female enlisted cap badge is better - larger and open; but again, not female...

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Chip For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I hear you. I considered using my enlisted cap badge with blue infantry disc, but it's just looks a bit small. The female enlisted cap badge is better - larger and open; but again, not female...
    I decided to see what I could find that could be used as a military identifier and a cap badge when my google search led me to the Celtic Croft which has made military cap badges for all of the branches of the US Military. They come in pewter and silver.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast