X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hill walking in Glasgow area

Any one want to go on kilted hikes around Glasgow and Dumbartonshire areas.
    There are some good walks, not too strenuous around Glasgow such as Old Kilpatrick hills, Campsie hills, Clyde Valley.
    It would be good to have another kiltie(s) alongside to enjoy the scenery?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I lived nearer I'd be up for it. I moved away from Paisley in 1989. Although my daughter still lives up that way and I'm involved with the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust, I'm no longer around that area as often as I might like. I would agree there are lots of beautiful walks within easy reach of Glasgow. The Gleniffer Braes, West Renfrewshire Heights, the Campsies and Kilpatricks, or for something less strenuous there's Garshake Estate up the back of Dumbarton, or Rouken Glen, or Pollok Park, or the Clyde Walkway. The Falls of Clyde at New Lanark is one of my personal favourites. There are also lots of great walks here in the border country and the Southern Uplands.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 12th May 15 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved away in 1992; the Kilpatrick Hills were on my door step and the canal towpath ran past my back garden, both of which I used to regularly walk. It would have been good to have someone to share with then, but am much too far away now, though still with lots of hills on my doorstep. If I am in the vicinity at any time in the future I'll give you a shout though.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live in Paisley and when younger went up the kilpatrick hills , I live in Dundee now but can come down to Glasgow from time to time so perhaps we could go on a walk as I love wearing kilts and always have one on when walking or hill walking was down at chaterhault country park yesterday near hamilton and did the big walk around it with a kilt on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I was nearer. Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich and The Cobbler (near Arrochar) are favourite walks of mine around Loch Lomond. I did Vorlich kilted in October. This was a mistake!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    I did Vorlich kilted in October. This was a mistake!
    Why a mistake?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was round my neck half the time in strong winds and I was a bit red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great if you are in the glasgow area sometime, I have walked the Avon Gorge at Chatelerault a few times kilted.
    Today I done the Whangy near Drymen with some friends but was not kilted, it was very marshy ans swampy in many places and long trousers were not the best thing to wear, i was trying to convince my friends the best hiking wear is the kilt, keep in touch

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_law View Post
    I used to live in Paisley and when younger went up the kilpatrick hills , I live in Dundee now but can come down to Glasgow from time to time so perhaps we could go on a walk as I love wearing kilts and always have one on when walking or hill walking was down at chaterhault country park yesterday near hamilton and did the big walk around it with a kilt on
    So hopefully you will be in the Glasgow area soon, like you i love wearing a klt