X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women’s wear

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Women’s wear

Having noticed quite a bit of correspondence lately, and a whole lot more in the past, concerning garments specifically for women (aside from the kilts that many women do wear), may I suggest that X Marks introduce a special category for this type of inquiry or the sharing of such information?
    That way women wanting skirts, sashes, dresses and other specifically female attire can discuss it there (although male members will certainly want to see the results, I am sure, and some would also be able to contribute tips).
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Mike_Oettle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What say the X Marks ladies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been through this before...

I like the idea of a ladies section but with rules... so it doesn't degrade to scantily clad women as examples of what men dream of and wolf whistling.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

I like the idea of a ladies section but with rules... so it doesn't degrade to scantily clad women as examples of what men dream of and wolf whistling.
    Who us? Perish the thought!
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In which regard, the top right corner of the Scottish Tartans Authority website is a rather sad example. They do themselves, Scotland, and tartans no favour by including the more salacious images in their rotation. I wouldn't ever want that to happen here.

Please don't think that I'm either prudish or sanctimonious because I'm a member of the clergy - I love the look of a beautiful or sexy woman and I was a hot-blooded male long before my ordination, but this would not be the proper place for that. Nor think please, that I'm critical of the STA in general; I just can't respect that particular choice in that particular context.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perish the though indeed, tpa! We can all have a chuckle here, because we are all very human.

However, I agree with Father Bill. I find I am often uncomfortable with images of women in the media today. I also feel that the STA does women no good service with the images that they have on their website. I am not a prude - I do like to dress to please my husband's eye, but I don't need to reveal a lot of skin, because I know that less is often more. The imagination is a wonderful thing!

Recently I came across a very large photo collection of men in kilts which I would not share in this forum because I felt that some crossed the line of what was acceptable, here or anywhere. They were for the most part very well done and many would appreciate the handsome men who were wearing their best and looked fabulous; but a few revealed a little too much skin. I would not want any man to feel uncomfortable looking at those photos. Father Bill, and many other men on this forum, would not want to see too much feminine skin here and by the same token we women don't want to see too much masculine skin. As I said before, imagination is a wonderful thing.

I like to be treated with respect and courtesy and MOST of the time I am. I worked in a male dominated field for years before I started my family, and never had a problem. I was never trying to take over a mans' job - I was a woman who was able to do a mans' job and I was hired to do it because I excelled at what I did; and I was paid a wage accordingly. My employer recognized that he needed to pay me on the same scale as anyone else doing the same job. He was a rare man and I enjoyed working there. About seven years after I left to start my family, I was headhunted for a position (which I had no desire to take, since I still had a babe in arms) because they were given an excellent reference by my previous employer. That same company contacted me regularly, for 2 more years, before they believed me when I said I had a full time job as a mother and I would not be taking another job until my kids were finished school. I know that my attitude regarding my role in the workplace played a major part in the reference that was given. Respect and courtesy go a long way in this world.

I dress appropriately for where I am going and what I will be doing. That is how I show my respect to everyone else who will be there. Excess attention drawn to one's sexuality is NEVER acceptable in any situation. No one, and most especially, no man, needs to be put in a position where he is uncomfortable around a woman because she is dressed inappropriately. Raging hormones have no place in the place of business, ever. No one should ever be subjected to another person creating an uncomfortable work place environment, for any reason. Being feminine is fine, as long as the courtesy and respect for oneself and others is present, always.

I believe that women and men are fundamentally different because we are meant to compliment each other. The difference is what makes everything special. And that is what we need to nurture, in an appropriate manner.

I feel very strongly that society is going down a road that is leading to a general lack of respect for many things and especially a lack of self-respect. It is reflected in the clothing of many young people today.

I'll get off my soap-box now...please forgive my running off on a tangent...

If I have a question regarding women's garments, I would just ask in the Misc section. And if I have any doubts, I would ask the Mods to move it to where it belongs.

If there are enough questions to warrant a ladies section, I would be fine with that. However, I wasn't aware that there were that many questions... I will pay more attention in the future.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Stitchwiz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right @Stitchwiz, it's a soapbox, but in my own view, that's pretty high-quality soap. Good for you! By the way, the "sexiest" picture I can imagine is the one here on HSH Charlene of Monaco here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-monaco-82190/ "Sexy" to me at least because she's unbelievably feminine in that long skirt!

We do have a few threads on the go right now that are on women's clothing, so it's probably worth discussion.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 22nd July 15 at 06:32 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Now that is a Lady in every sense of the word.

She is elegantly beautiful and as you said, Father Bill, unbelievably feminine.

That is her self-confidence shining through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself have no issue with a little cleavage or thigh showing... but pair that with see through fabrics and a certain kind of heel... that is fantasy not real life. Father Bill I agree with you about HSH Carlene. I have also seen photos of members or wives of members that I would consider equally "sexy" and beautiful.

It seems to me that questions by women seem to get lost in the shuffle quite a bit of the time. I would really like a separate forum but understand that there could be an issue with having one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

Indeed. I'm also a member of several other forums (mainly motorcycle-related), and there is a very, very simple solution to it. There's a women's-only area. Men are not permitted, and anyone wishing entry must request access with the moderators. Seems to work very well. In the motorcycling world, many women are just as big gearheads as the men -- debating ideal sprocket size for the best top end final drive ratio, or which brand of ape hangers to get for a customized shovelhead electraglide, and they'd prefer to do it WITHOUT silly comments from the peanut gallery. I get it.

I wonder if the women here would be more open to the idea if it were an entry-by-request subsection here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast