X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women’s wear

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladies and Gentlemen of X Marks.

I have said this before and I will say it as long as I have a say. This is a kilt forum. Everyone is welcome. Welcome equally.

This is not a ladies fashion forum. There are literally thousands of ladies fashion forums. This one is about kilts.

We have always allowed and encouraged men and women to post about ladies attire and outfits to accompany kilted men. We have also allowed posts about ladies Tartan accessories be they kilts, skirts, or other Tartan accessories.

I would be in favor of a forum sub-section dedicated to ladies outfits to accompany their kilted men. Over the years there have been many threads dealing specifically with ladies outfits and accessories that have gotten lost among all the other kilt threads. Having a dedicated place that can be searched and easily referenced would be a good idea.
    I personally would like to see a thread created by our experts to accompany each of outfits in the 1 kilt 10 looks thread.

I hope I don't need to point out that our first guiding principal is that we agree to conduct ourselves as the Ladies and Gentlemen of X Marks. We have always been a place where our members treat each other in a polite and respectful, open and honest manner at all times.
    Ladies and Gentlemen try to refrain from posting for purely prurient reasons. Out of respect for each other. The same principal applies to every forum section.

The Forum Moderators are currently discussing this issue. If anyone would like to comment, in this thread, or to any of the Moderators via PM, I am sure that the Moderators would like to hear your thoughts.

I would like to thank Mike for his suggestion and there will be a follow on post once the Moderators have had sufficient time to read your comments and discuss the suggestion.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, thank you for addressing this (again).

At this point I don't have a kilted man to accompany but I'm working on him! I'm the kilt (and pleated skirt) wearer in the family.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is quite a long tradition of women wearing kilts of tweed or tartan for such things as gardening, shooting driven birds, fishing - from a dry position, hiking and suchlike from a time when women were getting out and about more, but it would not be considered proper for trousers to be worn. I am old enough to have known women who never put on trousers, not even pyjamas.

Here in the UK, having gone through times when cloth was difficult to come by, women did have to make do with what they could get hold of, and finding an old kilt to wear with the suddenly very fashionable fairisle jumpers was good luck indeed.

In the era of mini skirts there was a certain cache in having a real made in Scotland mini kilt.

Yes, it's a man's garment - and always will be, and it is fastened on the right side - but women have been pinching them, or buying or making their own for well over 100 years now....

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    In which regard, the top right corner of the Scottish Tartans Authority website is a rather sad example.
    I have often wondered about that but put it down to them demonstrating tartan diversity and trying to show that they are in touch with trends from past to present, as it is a tartan as opposed to a kilt website. Maybe I'm being kind.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regard to the comments about the STA’s skimpily dressed models, I agree wholeheartedly that X Marks is not the place for them.
    As a naturist I am used to the naked female form, but this is not a naturist forum. It is about tartan clothing and related items.
    Salacious pictures and comments are totally out of place. (In fact, salaciousness is the last thing you will find on a respectable naturist forum.)
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Ladies of Xmarks group if you check under the Community tab. I don't believe that there's need of a separate forum section, but I can understand that some may wish to see one. What I do believe is needed is a bit more discretion in the comments that are made regarding women's attire. I think that some forget that this is a place for both Ladies and Gentlemen and not the men's locker room.
    --Always toward absent lovers love's tide stronger flows.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dixiecat For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixiecat View Post
    I think that some forget that this is a place for both Ladies and Gentlemen and not the men's locker room.
    Forgive my intrusion Moderators. I tried to click on the "AYE" button but got a "pop-up" notice instead. I'm not sure what that means but I hope that it is not perceived that I disapprove of Dixiecat's post.
    I have been having issues with my laptop and wireless mouse and am worried that it will cause problems when posting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, and no flag received. Good luck with the machine; they guy I buy from (a good friend) has a huge clientele and when I told him my computer was failing on a certain function looked at me with pity in his eyes and said, "Bill, it's a computer... it's not supposed to work."
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    aside from the kilts that many women do wear
    Mike
    Not so many!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12