X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harris tweed bonnet

Something new to argue over, Harris tweed bonnets -- or berets.

http://southpacificberets.com/one-of...---samples.php

Reading the SPB latest newsletter I've learned a beret maker is a bonetaire. Is there a single word for a balmoral maker? There should be.

I've several berets from South Pacific, all quite nice, and all quickley delivered. They're OK to deal with.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note the photo shows a flat cap, too.

I suppose I would call these bonnets Tam O Shanters, because they remind me of the military TOSs worn in the Great Wars, which were assembled out of pieces cut from woven cloth, rather than knit like traditional Scottish bonnets.

In like manner the ancient garters were probably knit (like shooting garters still are) or specially woven to width rather than assembled out of pieces cut from woven cloth like modern tartan garter flashes.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Eyre, Loch Snizort, by Portree ~ Isle of Skye
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, Benning Boy. I like these. Here in Skye living on the coast with the winds up most of the time, my fedoras and broad brimmed hats are useless (sadly) on anything more than a dead flat day.

PS... just to confirm, the fedoras and broad brimmed hats are not part of my Highland attire. I lack Panache's courage, if not his flair, for the Stewart Granger King
    Solomon's Mines look.

Watch caps are the order of the day, generally. These berets would work very nicely. Thank you.
    Orionson
    "I seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old.
    I seek the things they sought." ~ Basho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some Harris tweed and was thinking of a bonnet very much like these. Obviously I like them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I didn't use Harris Tweed I have made similar bonnets for myself out of tweed fabric. If you have the right pattern such as barleycorn or popcorn tweed or solids they come out quite nice. This bonnet I made with some 1956 era tweed. I also make flatcaps and fore and aft caps from various tweeds. Great fun and easy projects. You just have to remember the look is a little bit different from a woven/felted bonnet. Photos are proof.

1956 circa wool tweed

A couple of views on my noggin.

"Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brewerpaul those are some classy looking bonnets.

I was wondering if you use a specific pattern or did you modeled yours on a bonnet in your collection?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pattern of sorts for a tweed Balmoral-inspired bonnet. I've been wearing them as my standard winter hat for about ten years. It gets cold here and I look really goofy in an Elmer Fudd hat, so when my old LL Bean Tamoshanter wore out, it was time to come up with something new, and hopefully a bit warmer. I have probably built nearly 20 of them, mostly from Harris Tweed or Cheviot tweed remnants off of eBay (some even from bargain-priced donor sport coats). Winter versions are usually lined with polarfleece. Others with something lighter. The amount of "structuring" inside (mostly in the form of interfacing) will determine the stiffness or softness, and I have a few of both.

No real effort is made to make them "authentic", but they do the intended job and folks seem to like them (especially those who have seen me in an Elmer Fudd hat). The pattern is slightly asymmetrical (helps especially on those with a thick liner) and I have versions that lean right and quite a few that lean left. I target shoot a big old Sharps rifle for fun and hats leaning the traditional right way knock the ladder sights out of alignment. Flipping the pattern as needed will generate either type.

I decided one day to document the building of one in pictures and with a printable pattern. It's not intended to be the final word on the subject (and I still do a bit of tweaking here and there while building them) but if you can use it for guidance or inspiration, feel free. The construction photo spread is here:

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/To...?sort=9&page=1

and the pattern itself is here in PDF format that can be saved and printed on a home printer:

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradsha...f/!BALMORA.PDF

celebrating the arrival of spring.......

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great construction how-to Todd. Many thanks for posting this, and welcome to the forums!
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, your instructional PDF and pattern on making a bonnet is one of the best DIY how-tos I've seen Todd. Cheers for providing that.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    brewerpaul those are some classy looking bonnets.

I was wondering if you use a specific pattern or did you modeled yours on a bonnet in your collection?
    Sorry I'm in Scotland and didn't see this question. Link to the pdf file provided below. A vere easy bonnet to make and adjust.
    http://members.socket.net/~trailrun/...0construct.pdf
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."