X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early Dirk,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early Dirk,

Whilst looking for something else, I found these pictures of an early style dirk I made some years ago, and thought to maybe show them here.
    If I Did show them, please accept my apologies!

Blade buggy spring,
    Handle maple, and pommel cape buffalo, with a brass pommel -cap.

Has vestiges of the earlier ballock dagger about it.
    Aged it a bit, after completion.

Actally, although made a good few years apart, this and a sgian, and the sporran all have a family look about them. Can't think why!

Richard.dscn3171_133.jpgdscn3172_733.jpgdscn3174_243.jpgdscn3176_161.jpgdscn3173_173.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a beautiful piece of work, between the dirk and your recently posted sporran it seems you are quite a craftsman.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning Dughlas,

Thank you for your comments.
    I do like making things, but unfortunately the farm has me about run ragged most of the time!
    It's me maybe getting older, and it taking longer to get things done....
    I Have made all sorts of things, and I wonder how I found the time! Still a lot of things I'd Like to make, if I get at it!

All the best Dughlas,

Richard.
    Last edited by Micric; 3rd June 15 at 11:53 AM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Micric For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a beautiful dirk - looks like one I'd seen (in a book) that dated from the mid-late 17th century. Congratulations on a beautiful piece of work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orvis,

You are very close!
    I think it is roughly based on one marked down as 1640's if I remember right.
    Pleased you like it.
    The reason for the horn pommel disc, is that wood very often gets chipped, as we see so often on old pieces.
    Horn on the other hand, if cut from a slab, is somewhat flexible and will not chip with use.

Dughlas,

Sorry for spelling your name wrong! Will correct it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your kind words!

I got interested in historical dirks when I got involved in a reenacting group that portrayed 18th c. Highland Regiments in America. So I obtained a copy of John Wallace's "Scottish Swords and Dirks," which put me on the path to knowledge in that particular field. These days I am a Jacobite Highlander reenactor, so I am inclined towards early-to-mid-18th c. dirks with more strapwork hilt carving and brass pommel caps. I don't have the skills or facilities to make dirks myself, but have been lucky enough to acquire a couple from skillful and true-to-authenticity craftsmen.

Have you checked out Vince Evans' album website - he includes detailed photo instructions for dirk and basket-hilt sword construction - he has also published a booklet with instructions for dirk-making heavily illustrated with photos. Perfect for do-it-yourselfers! I highly recommend it!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evan's has a nice website (I wouldn't expect anything less from a fellow Cymro descendant!), thanks for sharing. Guess who plans on using the info on that website for their next project? ;)
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orvis,

No, I haven't looked at Vince Evans site, but will have a dekko as time permits. Thanks for that!

My own way of doing things is to study originals, even in photos, and then, study them some more!
    Get them engraved on your mind, so that as soon as something looks 'off' you will notice it.

No reflection on Vince here, and I am sure he does Not fit this category, but quite often we see "how to" books, written by people who need to be learning, rather than teaching!
    Edited to add;
    Just looked at Vince's sight, and his work is some of the Very Best I have ever seen.
    Has some lovely Migration swords, and even makes the humble Sax look nice. I didn't see anything that didn't look "right".
    Thanks for mentioning him Orvis!
    Last edited by Micric; 4th June 15 at 05:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`ve never been fortunate enough to see or handle a Vince Evans piece, but I have certainly drooled over the photos. It is my understanding that the dirk handles are actually carved by his wife, Grace. I would go as far as to say that they are so well done that they exceed the quality of the carving I have seen on any of the surviving antiques. I know he has a heck of a long waiting list, and I think that if you have to ask the price, you probably can`t afford one. I know I can`t!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dughlas,

What you mention about not being able to afford it, is the main reason I started making things.
    It seems it was the Only way to get some of them!

Vince's work, altogether sets The Standard. I must have lived a sheltered life to never see it until today!

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Micric For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast