X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessories when wearing a kilt.

I would never be so crass as to call what I wear with some of my kilts a sporran.
    However I did find that I needed something to hold 'stuff'. Often, due to my work needs, a handbag isn't practical so I came up with the following compromise as I need to carry a phone at all times, some change & ID. (I don't like the look of bum bags & don't call them 'fanny packs' in Australia, it means something else entirely!)
    I bought a couple of ladies evening bags at the op-shop for $1 each, punched some holes in the side, added some webbing to some swivel clasps for the side attachments, plastic sliders and clasps to hold it together and adjust as needed (the clasps are quick release for safety) Other than $2 spent on the bags, everything else was found amongst the mess that is called 'my stash'
    I need to get some heavier webbing for future projects as I think it will sit better.
    It's quick, easy, cheap and I constantly look out for cheap new/old bags in various colours and styles to match other items in my wardrobe or shoe collection (that's a whole other thread... Footwear with kilts) I do however draw the line at sequins and sparkles for daytime wear.
    I've also used a nurses pouch to hold 'stuff' and it works well but is a little to lightweight for my liking.
    Please excuse the wool kilt (RevK) it's not finished yet. The polka dot is a denim RevK with a shaped waistband at the back to stop the horrid 'back rise' which just looks plain tacky.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you also looked into server pouches? You know the kind that servers wear? I found this one in a quick google search. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1131915..._listing-other.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cookingkilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooohh,
    That's nice! A bit pricey but I think I could make something like that.
    I have to make a cover for a Longbow this week so I might grab a bit of extra canvas and attempt it.
    Thanks for the link
    LG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a denim handbag which had a totally superfluous bow, and the strap attached by rings so that part did not require alteration for wearing at the waist - it became

using the material from the bow to make the front pocket and button closure.

I opened up the lining along the original closing seam so as to be able to hand sew the front pocket, it has a zipped top and sections inside and can carry the essentials. I wear it on my left hip, being left handed.

I had similar bags during my hippy days and they are handy for when I am to be on stage playing my guitar as I can fit in the small purse which holds picks, plectrum and capo.

I also wear reverse Kingussie style kilts. They are the best style for riding a bicycle.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady Grey, HI ! I wear sporrans with mine all the time.. its a good place for my phone..If I can put a few other very small things that I may need in it, if not than I bring a purse if need be too.. I do put pins on the kilts..I wear Dr Martens boots very comfortable with thigh high socks I cuff down an inch past below my knee or clogs ( Dansko) IF need be my crocs that look like Mary Jane shoe (husband hates them lol but are comfortable.. Angie
    Last edited by Angela Kaye Bodine; 16th June 15 at 08:53 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Angela Kaye Bodine For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Angela
    Yep I'm a Doc Martens wearer as well. I've also got some great ox blood red cowboy boots that I wear a lot. It's too cold for just socks here at the moment so I wear leggings, socks & boots. I'm looking forward to spring and summer and wearing some DM shoes that I have with kilts.
    Are your sporrans those made for men's kilts?

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady Grey, Hi ! Definitely Doc Martens are very comfortable.. I have a few pairs.. Its summer here. So the boots are put away..wearing my Dansko clogs which are very comfortable too. I wear thigh high socks ( folded down below knees), fleese stockings, and tights in cold weather.. I have a Red Rabbit fur Sporran w 5 fuz things hanging from it. My light Pink Rabbit fur Sporran has 3 fuz things hanging from it.My Black Rabbit fur Sporran has 3 fuz things too.. I do not know if they are for men or females ..when I got them nothing was said .. Angie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's doc martens & revk denim kilt

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady Grey, sounds very nice... Angie

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings ladies. While cruising the nooks and crannies of the forum at 2:30 AM over a wee nip of Speyburn I came across this thread and figured I should check it out for the Mrs.

Back when I first started making myself sporrans, my wife decided that she wanted me to also make her a handbag. With every new design I come up with for a sporran, she now also gets a slightly larger version of it with a shoulder strap (except she wasn't keen on the wild boar fur model ). She is now up to three of them, in the form of modified hunting sporrans or molded leather ones.

They're maybe 20% bigger than a typical sporran - not big enough for all the contents of a typical overstuffed purse, but big enough to hold the essentials - wallet, keys, a few cosmetics, Kleenex, phone, etc. without compromising any "shopping power". The bellows sidewalls are about 2.5" deep. We found that the typical sporran hanging system didn't hang very well from a shoulder strap, so they get a more vertical strap system riveted onto the back side instead, and they will then hang like a normal small purse. The front and back of the hunting sporran-style are closed by a small leather tab which snaps over the top. For security, I also hide a couple of Velcro chunks, inside on either side of the snap tab. I want these things to close well enough that you can turn them upside down and shake them without anything falling out. Velcro also makes an audible alarm if some highwayman tries to open it.

So far, they're working out pretty well and the one she was using garnered some favorable comments at the Highland Games. The modifications probably wouldn't work on all sporran types, but it will certainly work with some of them, and when paired with tartan, it looks like it's supposed to be there.

17. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast