X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    My grandfather, born 1892 went to enlist, but he was so small - about 4ft 9in tall and very slightly built - that he was sent home.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    Both My grandfathers were born 1901 and so missed the fighting of WW1, One did national service between the wars but came out to work on the railways looking after the track at that station shown and did so till 1966.
    The Other joined up in 1919 (after apprenticeship in a shipyard in Glasgow), in the Royal Tank Corps, in 1939 he was given "exceptional permission to remain in the RTC" so that he fought in Europe and was Evacuated from Dunkirk (May 29th 1940), and then in the Deserts of Africa being RSM of the 7th Royal Tank regiment at the Siege of Tobruk. He remained in the RTR until 1953 and died 3 years later.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife’s grandfather was a short man too – five foot nothing, his family used to say. He volunteered for the Lancashire Fusiliers during the First World War, but because he was so short he and a number of others of similar height were transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers, where apparently they fitted in better.
    He was recommended for a VC after his unit relieved the South Africans at Delville Wood (the Welch were decimated just as the Springboks were), and was awarded a Military Medal.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Oettle; 8th December 15 at 02:16 PM.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intrigued by the "black button" thing, which I'd not heard of before. I have dozens of photos of Great War soldiers, and have seen hundreds more, and didn't recall seeing it. It's the sort of detail that can escape notice if somebody doesn't know to look for it.

So just now I went through the dozens of photos I have on hand of Great War soldiers and not one has it.

Time for me to do a little research!

About the OP photos, the hundreds of photos I've seen of Highland soldiers always show neat even consistent wearing of the diced hosetops and flashes, so I consider this alone sufficient evidence that these guys are mere posers. Seems like whenever soldiers were given hosetops they were also given guidance of how to wear them.

"Play dress-up" photos nearly always have the diced hosetops worn wrongly, oftentimes with the seam down the front!

I cherish this photo, probably the most amazing "play dress-up" photo of them all. It rewards careful study.

Last edited by OC Richard; 8th June 15 at 08:15 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I'm intrigued by the "black button" thing, which I'd not heard of before. I have dozens of photos of Great War soldiers, and have seen hundreds more, and didn't recall seeing it. It's the sort of detail that can escape notice if somebody doesn't know to look for it.

So just now I went through the dozens of photos I have on hand of Great War soldiers and not one has it.

Time for me to do a little research!

About the OP photos, the hundreds of photos I've seen of Highland soldiers always show neat even consistent wearing of the diced hosetops and flashes, so I consider this alone sufficient evidence that these guys are mere posers. Seems like whenever soldiers were given hosetops they were also given guidance of how to wear them.

"Play dress-up" photos nearly always have the diced hosetops worn wrongly, oftentimes with the seam down the front!

I cherish this photo, probably the most amazing "play dress-up" photo of them all. It rewards careful study.

I'm already chuckling, Richard, thank you for posting it. Dead give-away - the fellow on the left doesn't have his kilt on 'straight'.

The more I read your posts the more I learn from you. Keep it up, please, we can all learn from your keen eye.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    My grandfather, born 1892 went to enlist, but he was so small - about 4ft 9in tall and very slightly built - that he was sent home. Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    It hasn't changed today; my son at 5', though quite muscly and compact, was turned down by the Army. They would accept him for the medical Corps, but he wasn't interested.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    It hasn't changed today; my son at 5', though quite muscly and compact, was turned down by the Army. They would accept him for the medical Corps, but he wasn't interested.
    He missed out. It's not like it was; two medics have won the Miltary Cross in recent years and not to forget the the RAMC, albeit a Corps and not a Regiment, holds the largest number of VCs if I remember correctly.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    He missed out. It's not like it was; two medics have won the Miltary Cross in recent years and not to forget the the RAMC, albeit a Corps and not a Regiment, holds the largest number of VCs if I remember correctly.

Your memory is serving you well Peter. I have just been reading a book on the battles of the Somme and one chapter was specifically about a Regiment of "Bantams" who fought in the battle. It was written by a war reporter at the front during the fighting, so no mention of the exact unit, but the point of the piece was that these brave men, small in stature, fought with bomb, bayonet and bullet equally hard and paid the price, as those of more normal size.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 9th June 15 at 10:32 PM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    He missed out.
    He did indeed - on Afghanistan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short men in WW1.

Men who did not meet the British Army's minimum height requirement, of five feet, four inches, could have joined one of the Bantam Battalions. These were made up entirely of "short men > Their Officers were of normal height. Their rifles were cut down by a foot, to make it easier from them to handle them.

Here is a link to a site about the "Bantams ".

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31023270

The Canadian Army also raised one Battalion for "short men ".

link. http://www.bcbantams.org/

Jim B. In Toronto.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jimintoronto For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimintoronto View Post
    Here is a link to a site about the "Bantams ". http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31023270
    Interesting article, thank you Jim. My son is taller than the 4'10" minimum stated in the article, yet he was turned down on height not weight.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast