X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies- do you wear "male" kilts or kilts made specially for women?

According to Dr. Nick Fiddes in his excellent Kilts and Tartan Made Easy, having specially-made kilts for women is a recent minor tradition and women can wear the style of kilt now considered "male".

So, the question is this: do you wear standard "male" kilts or kilts made with women in mind? Maybe even both?

I'm not a regular kilt wearer (yet), but I'm not a fan of miniskirts or anything too feminine, not to mention I'm a larger woman (not for long I hope!), so I would definitely plump for the "male" kilt.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="#0000CD"]PROUD[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FFD700"]YORKSHIRE[/COLOR] [COLOR="#0000CD"]KILTIE[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000CD"]Scottish[/COLOR] clans: Fletcher, McGregor and Forbes
    [COLOR="#008000"]Irish[/COLOR] clans: O'Brien, Ryan and many others
    [COLOR="#008000"]Irish[/COLOR]/[COLOR="#FF0000"]Welsh[/COLOR] families: Carey[/B][/CENTER]

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RectaPete For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that our Lady Angie will enter to post something as soon as she sees this thread. She wears a number of different kilts and will offer the best advice. The other ladies that choose female kilts over the men's will also offer their reasons. I believe it will be your choice in the end but this is an honest query and I hope you get satisfactory answers.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both
    I make mens styles to fit my shape. (Box pleats & RevK)
    What side the kilt closes on depends entirely on how awake I am when I'm marking up.
    I don't have the funds to buy a traditional kilt from a well known manufactor but if I did I would make it work! And rock it!
    That's the beauty of a kilt, it can adjust to fit many shape, even a basic off the rack kilt.
    I bought a cheap mini kilt from a UK supplier, yeah it's shaped for a woman but I wouldn't call it a kilt, it's a tartan wrap around skirt, ain't no swish in it!
    Last edited by Lady Grey; 15th June 15 at 03:55 PM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and as for not mini & 'not to feminine' leggings & Doc Martens are your friend! Well mine anyway

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think perhaps the other thing to add is that while to kilt is traditionally a male garment, it is also mostly a bespoke garment. Therefore, most 8-yard 16oz kilts are made not just for "a man" but each is made for "a specific man". Likewise, a handmade kilt made for you will be uniquely "your" garment; probably with a higher rise to reflect the higher natural waist of a woman, and a more generous apron curve. I have a length of fabric at home that I am intending to sew up for my youngest daughter into a box-pleated kilt ... all I have to do is get the 8 yards of fabric that is my next kilt off the table first!

Around these parts the right vs left closure doesn't seem to receive much support. On this forum a kilt is a kilt is a kilt.

I think if anything, for the ladies here, they are freed from some of the rigid strictures and debate around THCD; and can make and wear a kilt that they like and like to wear.

My thoughts anyway.
    Last edited by plaid preacher; 15th June 15 at 06:24 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RectaPete View Post
    According to Dr. Nick Fiddes in his excellent Kilts and Tartan Made Easy, having specially-made kilts for women is a recent minor tradition and women can wear the style of kilt now considered "male".

So, the question is this: do you wear standard "male" kilts or kilts made with women in mind? Maybe even both?

I'm not a regular kilt wearer (yet), but I'm not a fan of miniskirts or anything too feminine, not to mention I'm a larger woman (not for long I hope!), so I would definitely plump for the "male" kilt.
    Hi ! I guess I wear mens kilts or considered mens..I have 10 and Bonnie has made them all. Most of them go about an inch above the knee ( I like it better that way, Bonnie altered a kilt someone gave me and it had to be a inch shorter than my first 4, so now I like the length that way so my other 6 are like that) Bonnie also she puts less pleats in my heavier tartan I have, but I liked it so much she is putting less in my future ones..I wear T- shirts that are form fitting ), very female shirts with them, boots, clogs, crocks and even wear sporrans w them...I know some may think it's not right, but I like it...I think I do it justice..I recently bought one off the rack kilt ( I don't count that as my 10th kilt ) the flap of the apron is on the left, its a woman's kilt..I think it's awkward because I'm use to my other ones. I got it because when we go somewhere on the weekend, we may be at a place where my kilts may get dirty. I won't be to upset if the off the rack gets dirty..I love my kilts..Bonnie puts love into them. The off the hanger kilt wasn't made w love it was also only $60.00 at a Celtic Festival last week in New Jersey in Ocean Port...Angie..Ps..I seem to be having trouble with my replies, it seems I can only do it w a quote, not sure why, so I apologize..unless im completely blind and don't see the other one lol..
    Last edited by Angela Kaye Bodine; 9th July 15 at 05:10 AM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Angela Kaye Bodine For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I'm sure that our Lady Angie will enter to post something as soon as she sees this thread. She wears a number of different kilts and will offer the best advice. The other ladies that choose female kilts over the men's will also offer their reasons. I believe it will be your choice in the end but this is an honest query and I hope you get satisfactory answers.
    Thank you Tarheel :-) I will do my best..Angie..My McGregor Hunting Modern came in a couple weeks ago.. Mike will help me ( another good egg)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I make my kilts it's a bit academic as what exactly they might be defined as.

Kilts are not fastened on the left for women - at least not in the UK - I have found knitting patterns and a few old black and white films where women are wearing various sorts of kilt and they are all, without exception, fastened on the right.

The kilts I had as a child fastened on the right - so like the kimono, if it is a kilt, it wraps left over right.

I make reverse Kingussie style kilts and do not sew down the fell, so I would expect that anyone with about the same waist size as myself could put on one of my kilts and it would fit. I make them various lengths - it seems a shame not to use up the material if it is good stuff, so 24 inches or longer.

I suspect that the wars were one reason for the right side fastening - if you could get your hands on a kilt then you would wear it, as long as it could be fitted around you.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angie, thank you for the response. I knew you could be relied on.

To answer the other issue: At the top and bottom of each thread is the "Reply to thread" button. I have included a photo just in case. This will avoid reply with a quote.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent made it yet, but i do have a pattern to make a short wrap skirt, which will be made using either Nova Scotia tartan, or Elliott Tartan, or heck, maybe one of each. So it will be "Kilt-ish". For myself I wouldnt wear a traditonal kilt, because i am petite and think the pleats would be a bit overwhelming. However, i have attended many events around here where i have seen women wearing both "mens" kilts and kilts with a more feminine fit. I think they all look great, and i think the key is, most people know what looks good on their body type and suits their own personality . I think as long as you stick to whatever makes you comfortable you will no doubt rock it.

19. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Julia Elliott For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast