X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Watch 2016 North American tour

Just yesterday I got in the mail the programme for the 2016 season at The Cerritos Center For The Performing Arts and guess what I see?

http://www.cerritoscenter.com/ticket...nSeasonId=4968

I'm thrilled to be able to see The Black Watch again! (3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment Of Scotland as they now are titled.)

Their 1976 North American tour was the first time I had seen an actual British military pipe band, and produced in me an enthusiasm for that sort of thing which has never diminished.

In that photo The Black Watch are wearing mufti, which they wear when competing at Highland Games in Britain. During their last tour they wore their traditional Full Dress. It's an old photo because their former Pipe Major Scott Taylor wasn't leading the band yet, he's back in the 2nd rank. Is the PM still Keith Grisdale?

Makes me wonder when the various Pipes & Drums will be put into generic kit. When I ask British military pipers they say it's coming but they don't know when. But for now only the Pipes & Drums retain the traditional kit of their old units, with all the "tribal" oddities such as the square-toed spats of The Black Watch.

Here's the old thread about their last tour, in 2013

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...chedule-77611/

I've tried not to miss any of these tours, since the first one I attended in 1976, and I always get the programmes.

I have:
    BW & Royal Marines 1976
    Scots Guards & Grenadier Guards 1977
    BW (pipe band and brass band) 1979
    RSDG & Coldstream Guards 1981
    Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders & Royal Marines 1985
    Gordon Highlanders & Grenadier Guards 1987
    RSDG 1988
    BW (pipe band) & Argylls (brass band) 1989
    Queens Own Highlanders & Coldstream Guards 1991
    Argylls & Princess of Wales & Royal Anglian 1993
    BW, Life Guards, Blues & Royals 1995
    RSDG (no date on programme, 2002?)
    BW & Welsh Guards 2006
    RSDG & Coldstream Guards 2008
    5th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland (Argylls) & Irish Guards 2009
    ? (I know I went to one around 2011, can't find the programme)
    3rd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland (BW) 2013
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th June 15 at 04:08 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Richard. After an exceedingly frustrating search I was able to find that they will be at Massey Hall in Toronto on Jan 31 @ 7 pm. I'm afraid I could not find a list of concert dates, but did finally find their appearance here.

Perhaps we can get together some of the rabble for a night on the town. It would be great to get back into that venerable concert hall. Anyone else from Ontario looking to attend?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome!

Perhaps we could get a few Orange County kilties to gather at a pub after the Cerritos concert
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    You're welcome!

Perhaps we could get a few Orange County kilties to gather at a pub after the Cerritos concert
    While we have not formally met, I saw you at the last Tour you alluded to in 2013. You were speaking to one of the Pipers just prior to myself. I am tentatively planning on being there for the Cerritos date. If there is a venue within reasonable distance I am interested for sure.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!

I don't know the area- I'm down in Tustin- but Googling shows that around 4 miles away, in Los Alamitos, there's a place called Brew Kitchen Ale House, sort of a gastro-pub it seems.

Nine miles away there's Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs. If it's the place I'm thinking of, it's been around a long time and I've been there a number of times over the years, playing there etc.

Closer back to my home, around ten miles from Cerritos, there's my usual stomping grounds The Old Ship (Fullerton) which is a true British Pub.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th June 15 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far not much on Google about this tour. It seems to be lot's of old links and of course this thread. Apparently you have to look at the venue and not the band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing like hearing it live

Years ago, while in college, I attended a performance by two British military bands. I wish I could remember which ones they were (it was almost 30 years ago). The first band to march into the gym, and play, was a marching band, from an English regiment. They were great to watch, all in step, with sharp uniforms, red coats, etc. But, for me, marching band music (horns, etc) is ho-hum. After they finished, in marched the Scottish pipe band (again, I don't remember which regiment they were from). But wow, their sound filled the gymnasium. There is nothing like it! My roommate and I stood up, waving my saltire and rampant lion flags (which I had bought in a souvenir shop in Glasgow). Makes your celtic blood stir within you, doesn't it?!
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to seeing them in Lansing, MI in January. Our dance group may also have the opportunity to perform in the lobby prior to the show as well (fingers crossed)
    "Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made." - Ted Shaw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have plans to see them at Massey Hall in Toronto at the end of January. A friend and I already have tickets in the front row of the balcony. I hope perhaps some of the other lads from here abouts may be in attendance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know of any Northern California or Reno area shows this tour?

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast