X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd think they would know better....

I just saw a new television ad for the most prominent genealogical website. In the ad, a man who always thought his heritage was German discovers a Scottish heritage. He ends the story by saying he traded in his lederhosen for a kilt. The accompanying image was....a very good example of how NOT to wear highland attire.

I won't swear that he was wearing the Dress Stewart kilt backward, but something was definitely off. He had a plaid wrapped around him in imitation of a piper's plaid, his coat appeared to be ill-fitting...

In short, you would expect a website that deals in "heritage" would have some respect for the accoutrements.

Last edited by KD Burke; 18th June 15 at 04:22 PM.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KD Burke For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My iPad is not letting me post links but I found the ad in question at ispot.tv, it's called "Lederhosen" and the opening shot of him dancing in that outfit are just as stereotypical IMHO. Now let's see if I can post the screen grab of kilt outfit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	25071
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Scotsman" in question, (Kyle) has posted blogs of his experiences with Ancestry.com. The clothes are part of the wardrobe given him by the filming crew to wear. He has a lot to say about the experience. He also begs for "like votes". I get the impression a prize awaits him besides learning his heritage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that add the first time yesterday.

I used it as proof to my wife that I can have both a kilt and leaseholder, a fact she disputes greatly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the picture Sydnie. It's a little hard to tell what is going on with the kilt. It looks funny because it is not even at the bottom - high in the middle and hangs lower on the sides. My feeble eyes doen't pick up that it's backwards; I wonder if it is simply the case that it was not made for him and his corpulence.

I wish they had left that d@mn't plaid off. That looks like a very interesting jacket ... which unfortunately you can't seem much of. It again looks very odd on his frame, but I suspect it's a crackin' jacket ...and just a little different than much of what we see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Thanks for posting the picture Sydnie. It's a little hard to tell what is going on with the kilt. It looks funny because it is not even at the bottom - high in the middle and hangs lower on the sides. My feeble eyes doen't pick up that it's backwards; I wonder if it is simply the case that it was not made for him and his corpulence.

I wish they had left that d@mn't plaid off. That looks like a very interesting jacket ... which unfortunately you can't seem much of. It again looks very odd on his frame, but I suspect it's a crackin' jacket ...and just a little different than much of what we see.
    Here is the link, now that I'm on a device that allows linking. Odd, sometimes when on my iPad it works OK. Other times when I click on the icon to insert a link, Safari crashes and dumps me back on the home screen. Oh well.

Lederhosen commercial
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].