X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Thrifty Kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thrifty Kilts?

I've been looking for a good entry-level kilt for some time and the Stillwater Thrifty Kilts really caught my eye. You see, not only am I a beginner to kilts but I'm on a budget so something cheap and cheerful would do me for now. Of course, I'm not expecting it to be of tailored quality but it looks great for what it is.

So I really have one specific question- do they have much of a swing to them? What are your experiences of Thrifty Kilts?
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="#0000CD"]PROUD[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FFD700"]YORKSHIRE[/COLOR] [COLOR="#0000CD"]KILTIE[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000CD"]Scottish[/COLOR] clans: Fletcher, McGregor and Forbes
    [COLOR="#008000"]Irish[/COLOR] clans: O'Brien, Ryan and many others
    [COLOR="#008000"]Irish[/COLOR]/[COLOR="#FF0000"]Welsh[/COLOR] families: Carey[/B][/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a thrifty for my nephew and it was "passable". The swish and swing were not great. Now, it must be said that I have owned three of SWK's standard kilts and, for the money, they are great. Easy wear and easy care with good looks. I understand being on a budget but if you can manage it I'd recommend the standard.
    Gentleman of Substance

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SWK Thrifty is a great "trial" kilt. If you don't know if you will like wearing a kilt, or if your significant other will go along with it, it accomplishes the task without breaking the bank. It is definitely a kilt, and will be seen as such by those around you as you are out and about. But if you decide to wear a kilt as a usual thing, or you have already decided the kilt is for you, I would spend a few more bucks and get higher quality kilt, such as a SWK standard or heavy, or a kilt from another XMarks vendor. With the Thrifty, you are getting what you pay for, it's a good buy, but you well likely want something better fairly quickly. Beyond a great kilt for Renfair, a Thrifty was my first kilt. And I enjoyed it. But I haven't worn it for years now.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimal Swing but Passable

As the others have said, the Thrifty Kilt from SWK is a great starter kilt. I still have two I keep in rotation for vacations when I go to the beach. The fabric is very light. (probably in the 10 oz range)
    Not much swing and it does't like being sat on for hours on end. (really only wool does well with that.)

I love them for what they are. My boys both wear them for Highland games and "Ren feres."

When I need new kilts now in that range, I hold off a month to save up the extra $20-$25 and go for the economy kilt.

Jerry does a great job and his service is second-to-none. My only complaint is the limited tartan selection. This is common with any of the economy kilt makers though. (He will order tartan for me if I have a large enough order but I have not been able to justify that yet.)

As a new wearer of kilts, dnag one. You won't go regret it. Just start saving for the next kilt as soon as you order the first one.

DAVID
    Loyalty, Friendship, and Love....The Definition of family.

craigclan is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great kilt

I bought a thrifty kilt for showing goats in . It is just a black kilt . It seems to wash well and the swing is decent . Not a tank by any means and its a fairly light fabric but for 50 bucks it works . The group i show goats with want to wear kilts next year while showing and these will be the ones i buy .Good for the price
    live for god and you shall have life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "thrifty" Black Watch was my first-ever kilt purchase. Does it have much swing? No. I still wear it around the house and close-to-home for very casual wear. Don't forget a belt, the velcro wears out and something has to hold it up! Not a bad way to go for a first kilt. Let us know how it goes!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MrLion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a thrifty as my first kilt. I do like it, but like others have noted, it's fairly light and doesn't have great swing to it, but for what it is and how much I paid, I am pleased. I am looking to get a SWK Standard as my next kilt.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Thrifty is great and a personal fave for knocking around the house in warm-hot weather, especially if you are doing something messy which you do not want to stain your expensive, high-quality kilt.

Highly recommended for what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one for my son, for Christmas.

Both of us like it.

It not the same quality as my Geoffrey kilt, but for the price I think it works. IMHO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what they are and for the price, I love them

For the record, I presently have 2 in my rotation. I have had 3 others. My wife currently owns 2 which she wears as tattan skirts. Both of my boys (10 and 20) have two each.

For what they are, they are great. If you want a kilt to run in, a pub kilt, or just need one for mucking about they are fine. They are not extremely durable. The pleats are wide and hthe fabric is light. BUT... If you put on a belt, sporran, hose, and flashes the general public think they are fine. They are less than $30. Jerry's super power is lightning fast shipping. They look reasonable. For what they are, I highly recommend them. Just know what you are getting. If it is what you want, you won't be disappointed.

When I need a dress kilt, I wear my Geoffrey Taylor 16 oz TANK. For Pub kilts or just out and about, I am fine with the less expensive models. I figure I need to keep them to the cost of a pair of jeans ot khaki's if I am to keep the wife happy with them replacing these garments in my wardrobe.

Just my 2 pents.
    Loyalty, Friendship, and Love....The Definition of family.