X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Excitement Builds!

Well, I've just been e-mailing Barb about a few final details. My new (and first kilt!) will be on its way to me early next week! The tartan is Pollock in the Reproduction palette, see the link below...

http://www.dcdalgliesh.co.uk/fabric/442954

I've been tempering the "jones" by slowly aquiring the rest of my kit. Everything I have in leather is black, I hope to pick up some brown leather kit in the future. I also have some tweed swatches from Rocky as USA Kilts that I am very excited to look at next to the tartan. A nice tweed argyle jacket will follow.

I'm a novice piper just getting into my first full competition season, not associated with a band. So, I'm trying to put together a clean, smart, and modern look for my upcoming performances.

I will, of course, post pics once the kilt gets here, and would love critiques once I have them posted them.

Thanks you Rabble for your inspiration, and thank you Barb for you talent!

Cheers!

Spencer
    "At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone, he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." -N. Munro

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pollok For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurry slowly Laddie. Do your research, look at pictures, ask for pictures, read, more pictures, check that your proposed attire will fit the occasion, slowly narrow your thinking down to your final choices. Remember, spend in haste regret at leisure!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th April 15 at 08:22 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jock, that is sage advice. I hope to hear more from you as I move along this journey. As I explore this forum I always enjoy and apprecieate your measured and experienced guidance. I look forward to more of that guidance in the future.
    "At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone, he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." -N. Munro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's right...I put the cart before the horse and purchased some 'things' I'll now never wear...read a bit, I found the site a bit late.
    De Oppresso Liber

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Reiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking tartan!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've got the kilt, and it is a work of art!

Here's my first attempt and first try-on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kilt.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	24545
    @Jock Scot and @Reiver, How did I do for a my first time?

I think I know what some of my transgressions are, but I'd love to hear from the experts. Thanks in advance for your comments.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pollok For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smile says it all. Well done laddie!

A wee bit of fine tuning. Too my eye the kilt is a wee tad too low over the knee and the hose are a wee tad high. Regarding the kilt well that could be a camera angle thing------it often is-------but somewhere above the centre of the knee would be better to start the day at least. At the top of the knee cap is ideal. Kilts do have a habit of moving South over time so we must not be too critical here. If you can try and train your other half to how it should look and then give you a gentle nudge when the kilt needs a wee bit of attention. Failing another pair of eyes being around a discreet look at your reflection in shop windows can be helpful. In reality though you will never be too far out most of the time!

Now the hose are a tad high. It looks as though you have a fair bit in the turnover too and really the turnover is at its limit before it looks silly. So what to do? Well, you need to put a tuck in the turnover, I do it with some of my hose and its not rocket science. Firstly turn down your hose so that they are at the height that you want------at least an inch lower than you have in the picture------it(the turnover length) will look silly! So then at the centre of the turnover cloth you can either just fold the bottom half back over so it (the edge) is level with the top of the hose. Another way and more tidy is go to top third of the turnover holding it firmly against the leg gently pull the bottom section back up the leg so that the bottom edge of the turnover is eventually level with with the bottom of the fold. Gosh does that make sense?

Basically with turnover one system; the edge of the hose ends up at the top of the hose with three thicknesses of hose. The layer against the skin plus two layers of turnover. Or.

Turnover two system will have four layers. The one against the skin, plus three layers of turnover withe the edge of the outer turnover layer ending up on the bottom edge of the turnover.

Oh and polish those shoes!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th April 15 at 01:17 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fine looking gentleman I'm thinking.
    I'm not qualified to be giving anyone advice on kit or wear but Jock and others will square you away.
    De Oppresso Liber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feed back Jock!

There was quite a bit of up and down to try and get the length correct. Finally my better half squared me away, as she always does, thankfully!

I see what you mean about the hose. I'll try your suggestions to see which works best for me.

Thanks again, so much, for the input!

Spencer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contrary to Jock, I think you've got the kilt about right. Fair comment about the hose, they could be an inch or so shorter. The only comment I'd make is regarding your tie ... The widest part should be at the top of your kilt.
    Overall very well done!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast