A little while back some friends invited my wife and I to help start a stempunk group. The idea that they had was for the guys to be of a fictitious military unit. The idea was thrown out there for it to be a Highland regiment. To avoid stepping on the honor and dignity of any actual units or it's members, we have opted to model our kits more on the 79th New Yorkers' original uniforms. One of the ideas that came up and was agreed on was that since most of us have some clan affiliation or another, that we should wear our plant badges with our clan specific cap badges at events. I know the clan Ferguson's plant badge and the others know theirs, but we have one poor guy whose roots are nearly all German or Polish. He was in for the kilts and uses a plain thistle clan-style cap badge, but now he's stuck trying to decide what to wear for a plant badge. One suggested using a piece of thistle, but aside from the impracticality of using a real one, he also doesn't like the idea of a thistle behind a thistle. he said it was "just too generic." I'm sure the clan Stewart may disagree.

I thought that since plant badges originated by people using local plants as identifiers that he should consider using edelweiss, given his German heritage. But he asked me to ask the rabble, well more directly quoted "the guys on that site you belong to..."

So, any thoughts that could help him out?