X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About Plant Badges

A little while back some friends invited my wife and I to help start a stempunk group. The idea that they had was for the guys to be of a fictitious military unit. The idea was thrown out there for it to be a Highland regiment. To avoid stepping on the honor and dignity of any actual units or it's members, we have opted to model our kits more on the 79th New Yorkers' original uniforms. One of the ideas that came up and was agreed on was that since most of us have some clan affiliation or another, that we should wear our plant badges with our clan specific cap badges at events. I know the clan Ferguson's plant badge and the others know theirs, but we have one poor guy whose roots are nearly all German or Polish. He was in for the kilts and uses a plain thistle clan-style cap badge, but now he's stuck trying to decide what to wear for a plant badge. One suggested using a piece of thistle, but aside from the impracticality of using a real one, he also doesn't like the idea of a thistle behind a thistle. he said it was "just too generic." I'm sure the clan Stewart may disagree.

I thought that since plant badges originated by people using local plants as identifiers that he should consider using edelweiss, given his German heritage. But he asked me to ask the rabble, well more directly quoted "the guys on that site you belong to..."

So, any thoughts that could help him out?
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being fictituous and all... he could do most anything he wanted or that was easily available. I do like the Edelweiss idea. Maybe check this out... http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/sho...fort-belvedere
    Vestis virum reddit

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree that Edelweiss would be the best to represent German heritage.
    Troops from the Bavarian states collected the flowers during part of their mountain training and wore them as a badge of honor. I treasure mine for that reason (earned in 1977). "All the Way, everyday".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germany also has a tradition of plant badges of a sort. I vaguely remember that they wear flower or sprigs of something in their hats, based on local or regional plants. So perhaps he could find something that would reflect his specific heritage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little larger would be the Polish national plant the corn poppy.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure, WW II German Gebirgsjaeger (Mountain / ski troops, literally, "mountain hunters") wore the Edelweiss.

As you are "emulating" a ficticious Highland (Scottish "mountains") unit, another vote here for the Edelweiss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps THIS could be your unit's theme song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS1970 View Post
    Perhaps THIS could be your unit's theme song.
    Agreed. With pipes, drum and fife the marching (accordion) theme could be refined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerning Edelweiss...

The thought Edelsweiss could be german heritage plant badge shows how Germany is noticed in the United States (Oktoberfest and Alt Heidelberg).
    But let me tell you Bavaria is just a small southern part of Germany (and the bavarians don't want to be germans in the firts line but bavarians...) and Edelweiss does not grow in the most parts of Germany even just in small parts of Bavaria.
    AND the plant is severely protected being so rare.
    As a german from Hamburg which is in the north I never saw a real Edelweiss growing in nature and I wouldn't feel represented by it at all.
    There are many typical plants in the different areas of Germany and Edelweiss is much more typical for Austria or Switzerland.
    As a matter of fact the oak is considered to be the typical german plant and..I would guess also plant badge.

Tom
    "A true gentleman knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't!"

Member of Clan Macpherson Association

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipersson View Post
    The thought Edelsweiss could be german heritage plant badge shows how Germany is noticed in the United States (Oktoberfest and Alt Heidelberg).
    Speaking from Wisconsin, many of the people here and in Minnesota of "German" descent are from the area of Bavaria and these are the traditions that followed (and what people selectively remember). Most "German" descent Wisconsinites and Minnesotans came over around the joining of Bavaria with the German Federation (1871 and after). For many, this was a choice because they were Catholic and did not like the joining into a more protestant, Prussian-led, "Germany." Anyway, that is what I have always been told here, in this small part of the U.S.

Isaac, lover of history and immigrant history
    Vestis virum reddit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast