X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Sash question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sash question

Okay, so I'm not a lady, but this question is about a lady's tartan item. A lady I know as part of a group that we are both members in is wanting to have a sash made of the group's tartan. Unfortunately, she has a wool allergy. Since we would only need enough for that one item, having a special PV tartan woven isn't really practical. We found a place that does custom printed cotton twill and will do small orders. However, we asked about the ability to fringe the ends and the said that it could be done, but the printing is on only one side of the fabric and there would be extra white in the fringe. We have been playing with the idea of adding sewn on fringe, like the kind you can buy by the yard. The question is that since we can only get that in single color (we found a couple of two tone mixed fringes, but the colors were wrong), should we match the background, the dominate stripes, or go with gold like that around the edge of a flag?
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can she handle silk? Many tartans are available as fabric or readymade scarves. If you go with the cotton, I'd match either the background or a dominant stripe, whichever you can best match. Not flag gold IMHO.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sydnie7 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can she handle wool of it is lined?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's custom tartan, so silk is sadly, not an option. Her wool allergy is so bad that it's getting too near her face will make her eyes itchy/watery/red, and that's without direct contact.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For costumes that sort of problem would be dealt with using felt tip pens. If the fringing is done to put together threads of the same colour then a large set of felt tips would provide a sufficiently wide range of colours to cover the white. Start with the lighter options and do several applications for the best outcome.

Although many felt tips are labelled washable, they have to be washed quickly for it to be so. A shot of steam from an iron will often help to set the colours - or just reapply when washing can't be avoided.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Croix Weaving

You may be find St. Croix Weaving, 404 Red Brick Rd., Hudson, WI 54016, www.stcroixweaving.com able to satisfy your requirements. I had them do sashes in my tartan (Adams) in tencel a couple of years ago and they may be able to do yours in other fibres as well. I have no affiliation with them other than as a very satisfied customer.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Auld Creakie For This Useful Post: