X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free shipping option????

Hi folks. I just ordered a jacket and a couple yards of fabric from Scotweb. I chose the free shipping option because I'm basically pretty frugal and it would save me almost $50. They do make a point though, that that option may take forever, lose your package, or some other horror story. I don't really understand why any decent business would deal with shippers that were not reasonably efficient and dependable, as the opposite would reflect badly on both seller and shipper but I haven't used their free shipping before. Anybody in the US have experience with it? I'm sure they want to err on the side of caution, but the description kind of sounds like they hand your package to a blind guy in a canoe and give him a push off. I can always go back in, pay the $47 and change the shipping method while I wait, but I figured somebody here must have some previous experience to shed light on the subject.

If it came by Viking ship, that would be cool and I would wait for it - but no canoe. I've been in the canoe business most of my life, and I know how slow they are.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Todd,

I'm sorry that you felt our free shipping advice was over-alarmist. The fact is that this information our systems automatically send to customers selecting the free shipping option has evolved over many years of experience, and is designed to ensure that as many customers as possible end up happy.

Like most companies, our free shipping only includes basic untracked shipping rather than more expensive courier rates. As such it's inherently unpredictable. Such deliveries will often arrive in a few days. But to some destinations or at some times of year it can take weeks, or in some cases even months. So we're not trying to alarm people, but just make sure they are aware of these considerations in case their need is more urgent. In previous versions of our message that was more vaguely worded we found these facts were often missed.

If you've specific suggestions for improvement, you're welcome to contact us directly, as we always value positive feedback. But please bear in mind that it's impossible to please everyone all the time, and all we can do is to try to find the best balance, that ends up with the best result for as many customers as possible.

Thanks

Nick

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Nick Fiddes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Nick, and thanks for responding. As the owner of two gorgeous hunks of Dalgliesh-woven tartan, I also want to thank you for keeping DCD alive and in business. In addition to being beautiful fabric, we consider them living history, and that makes them even more special.

Naturally, I'd be happy if my order arrived on my doorstep tomorrow morning, but in reality it's not a huge rush, and as long as the free shipping option gets it across the pond in a reasonable amount of time and in one piece, it will be fine (maybe a rather large canoe, but powered by Vikings ).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Royal Mail when offered, It's free or cheap and I usually have the package in 10 days. $47 and fabric sounds like customs fee and a tariff is involved. With RM you may still get billed for the tariff but there is no processing fee.
    I don't go cheap if the value of the package is high, is perishable/fragile or I need it quick. Free, I see as self insuring - I take all risk. If I pay the shipping cost, I see it as a guaranty of delivery by the seller.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made numerous purchases from Scotweb. All of them were shipped Royal Mail, several qualified for free shipping. Except for one item which was sent during Christmas time, every package arrived in less than a week. No customs or broker fees were involved. In the past there has been discussion here about items sent "Priority Mail" which were delayed in customs and acquired additional charges.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cck For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a follow up, my tweed cut yardage was shipped recently and only took a week to arrive by Royal Mail. The jacket was finished (very nicely done, by the way) and shipped a few days later via DHL and arrived in three days. Pretty spectacular performance for free shipping from across the pond. My compliments to Nick and his crew at Scotweb.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has been my same experience.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick is wise to be cautious. The reverse trip from Canada to the UK took 2 months and one week by surface mail recently. It was tracked, but went 7 weeks with no tracking up date.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!