X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Goo Gone odor really wasn't a problem after my rinse-blotting. The darkening is real, but as mentioned above, I don't think I rinsed enough and all I was doing is blotting with a wet paper towel with a drop or two of Dawn on it on the countertop. I was mostly trying to figure out whether the grease stain would be a spot with obvious borders. With enough work, I think you could get it all out.

A couple cautions though - I don't know much about how they dye wool, but it probably isn't wise to assume that all dyed wool is equally colorfast. I do know that they adjust the pH when they do it to aid in getting it to hold the color well, but I'm a sailmaker, not a chemist or textile scientist. I would certainly try any spot cleaning idea on a hidden area or tartan scrap before going for it on the front or back of my kilt.

When we spot-clean sails we also need to rinse the heck out of the area to remove any trace of the cleaner. Some of the cleaners used to remove various types of stains will change the pH of the fabric. We aren't likely to see any fabric strength change due to this, but it can make a serious change in the way the treated spot resists UV. Most kilts will never see as much UV as sails do, but even so, the idea that you might be creating areas on your kilt that could be more prone to fading or other UV problems down the road, should be motivation to do a really good job of rinsing out whatever substance you used on the problem spots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold bacon grease. Grew up in the Oregon woods. Used it all the time. Fast, easy.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Western Washington State or s/v Lady Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the helpful responses. I will take my time. no more rushing into things. And above all bring my sitting pad to the next games!
    Elf

There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing.
    -atr: New Zealand proverb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12