X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little about me and how I got here.

Six years ago I went to the Loch Norman Highland Games. The first time I'd been to one, ever. I ran across a guy with a beautiful targe and I knew I had to have one for myself. So I made one. I enjoyed the process so much that I made another, and then another after that. I was addicted to the leather, the designs, the tooling, and the beauty of the whole process. So I decided to start selling them on on the internet. I had some background in web design so I built a site to post my work and continue this new found hobby that I became very passionate about. I soon started getting inquiries and then sales, and I was soon making commissioned pieces. Both my original designs and reproductions of extant targes from museums and other collections. Making these Highland shields has become my passion in life and I pour myself into each one that I make.

At the same time I realized that if I were going to make a business of this, I needed more types of goods to sell. I had already developed a method to produce quality leather armbands from my small shop at an affordable price that featured Celtic designs and Clan names. But I was looking for something a little more classy to produce to show off my Celtic pride.

This was about the same time that I was making the switch from wearing more traditional sporrans to the Rob Roy style sporran. I found that I could carry more of what I needed when I was out and about in my kilt. So I decided to design a sporran for myself that I could change the look of relatively easy, I wear a kilt at least once a week, sometimes more, and I wanted to be able to wear a sporran that fit my mood or destination. An interchangeable flap was needed. I know I'm not the first with such a sporran, but I designed my sporran from scratch to suit what I thought looked best. I've spent a few years now tweaking these sporrans and selling them through my website. My business has grown and I now have festival vendors making inquires as well. So I'm trying to push my business a little farther now.

I've been a relatively quiet member here at X Marks the Scot since 2010. But it's been my goal from early on to become an advertiser here. So I'm both nervous and excited to finally see it happening. Hopefully, it will be a long lasting endeavor.

Please take a few moments and check out my work on the website: CelticLeatherworks.com

If you do facebook, check me out there as well: www.facebook.com/CelticLeathers

2. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to MacPruette For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do beautiful work! I gave you a shout out on teh Facebooks. Best of luck with everything going forward.
    Cheers!
    Bob

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Same here. I've praised your beautiful work on Facebook, and will attest to it here as well.

Cheers my friend.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice leatherwork Mike. Good luck with your business expansion.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my biggest struggle has been to find a good source for shield bosses? Yours are beautiful! Do you make those as well?
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nighthawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful!

I am in awe of the artistry of your craft. Such beautiful work.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arboribabe For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    So my biggest struggle has been to find a good source for shield bosses? Yours are beautiful! Do you make those as well?
    Thanks Nighthawk. I do make them myself. I hand hammer them from sheet brass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arboribabe View Post
    I am in awe of the artistry of your craft. Such beautiful work.
    Thank you very much! It is something I am very passionate about, so I pour myself into each one I make.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. Thanks!
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nighthawk For This Useful Post: