X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This probably why the busking piper in Norwich city centre stands in a bricked up doorway of M+S, he's protected on 3 sides by wall.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    This probably why the busking piper in Norwich city centre stands in a bricked up doorway of M+S, he's protected on 3 sides by wall.
    And as anyone who has ever watched a pipe major when the band is in a circle, his foot is free to move to either keep time or....
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post

Doesn't sound very "priest-like" does it? Nonetheless, I was a man for decades before I was a priest.
    Apparently the two are not mutually exclusive.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

An extract update from the Scottish Sun:

“Staff wear kilts as it’s part of the highland appeal. I want them to keep wearing them but would never force them to given the circumstances.
    “But I can’t afford to have the bar closed so have agreed that they can wear trousers for now.
    “I’m going to be putting up signs to warn people not to touch staff inappropriately.
    “Anyone who does so again we be asked to leave.”
    The warning posters will read: “The management reserves the right to eject any woman who interferes with the personal territory of any of our kilted staff especially in that area located between the knee and the hip.”
    Staff are now considering whether to don the kilts again.
    Iain said: “We’re discussing our options.”
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    An extract update from the Scottish Sun:

“Staff wear kilts as it’s part of the highland appeal. I want them to keep wearing them but would never force them to given the circumstances.
    “But I can’t afford to have the bar closed so have agreed that they can wear trousers for now.
    “I’m going to be putting up signs to warn people not to touch staff inappropriately.
    “Anyone who does so again we be asked to leave.”
    The warning posters will read: “The management reserves the right to eject any woman who interferes with the personal territory of any of our kilted staff especially in that area located between the knee and the hip.”
    Staff are now considering whether to don the kilts again.
    Iain said: “We’re discussing our options.”
    I'll be in Inverness the first week in August and plan to stop by Hootanannay at least one night. Hopefully kilts will have returned. If not, I'll encourage it with a stronger stance towards inappropriate patrons no matter the gender.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

10. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    I'll be in Inverness the first week in August and plan to stop by Hootanannay at least one night. Hopefully kilts will have returned. If not, I'll encourage it with a stronger stance towards inappropriate patrons no matter the gender.
    Hope you have a good trip. You could point out to them that the sign should read "person" as opposed to "woman", otherwise someone is going to claim discrimination and it leaves the door open to any men who may feel that way inclined or who are dared by their womenfolk.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

12. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have at no time been “up-kilted” by a woman, I once had a most uncomfortable experience at the hand (literally) of a man – a straight man, at that.
    It was at a party to mark the end of a Christmas pantomime season. The whole cast was there (with perhaps the odd exception), and a lead actor arrived with a very attractive actress on his arm. Noticing that I was wearing my army kilt, he went up to me, asking what I was wearing, and grabbed hold of my crown jewels.
    It was so sore that my eyes watered, but I tried not to let on – in fact I tried to chuckle, as if he was being silly.
    I hope that never happens to me again (regardless of the gender of the groper).
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike_Oettle For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Father Bill outlined the appropriate response to this situation in post #2 upthread.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

16. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been able to avoid and side step the issue with wit and calmness when dealing with folks (mostly women) that don't know me. That has worked out to my advantage, as I am kilted at events during home football games here in Oxford.
    The one time a male (now former long term friend) assaulted me in public while I was kilted, I stood and yelled (land surveyors train to be heard clearly at 1200 feet) and all other noise halted as I said, "touch me again and draw back a stump!" I hate to admit I had my sgian in hand.
    This was at the last biker rally I attended in May. I will have to resolve the issue with him eventually. If he ever apologizes or admits his error, it will go more smoothly. I know the loss of a friend will effect him more than it will me. My other biker friends at the rally have stated their support of my outburst. They offer excuses for him that contradict my scruples and sense of morals though.

My wife is the only person allowed such liberties with my delicate areas and that is reserved for our private moments when we are alone.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tarheel wrote: “My wife is the only person allowed such liberties with my delicate areas and that is reserved for our private moments when we are alone.”

Dead right!
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

20. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mike_Oettle For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast