X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shot In The Dark...

just throwing this out on the odd chance any new information exists out there...I am quite content with the information we have and count myself fortunate. I assume we were of the laboring masses, or even slaves, to explain the sudden absence of information.
    My surname is Mills. We did the DNA service thing a few years ago, but seems to have hit a wall around 1650's.
    While the strongest DNA matches are McCullough/McCulloch, Boyd, McCracken, McTaggart/Taggart, and Ferguson, the access to church records is what revealed names and dates. We assume, since at some point we became Covenanters, the origination is some Presbyterian church in Irvine, Ayrshire.
    FWIW, our haplogroup is I-L126 (I2b1a1), and I'll offer all info I have available, starting with our first generation in America:

James Mills b.1745 Ayrshire, Scotland, d. 17 October 1823 Chester Co. South Carolina USA
    Isabella Leslie b. 4 March, 1759 Rothes, Morayshire, Scotland, d. 6 January, 1841 Chester Co. South Carolina USA
    His parents:
    James Mills b. 3 December 1701 Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland, d. ???
    Ann Baird b. 9 August 1702 Riccarton, Ayrshire, Scotland, d.???
    His grandparents:
    Thomas Mill b. 19 August 1677 Liberton, Midlothianshire, Scotland d. ???
    Barbara Jamison b. ca. 1678, d.???
    His great grandparents:
    Johne Mill b. ca. 1650 - Scotland d.???
    Beatie Reid b. ca. 1650 -Scotland d.???

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The town of Liberton where Thomas Mill was from is near Edinburgh which would make him a lowlander.

Greenock and Riccarton is also in the lowlands. Near Glasgow.

So these people may not have been members of Highland Clans.

This is the most mis-understood thing about Scotland peoples. Not everyone was a member of a Clan. In fact a very small percentage of the total population lived in the Highlands.

Today that is different but in the days your ancestors lived in Scotland it was true.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I am aware of this distinction - and am well aware where the highland line lies - well outside many of the 'highland clan' lands. My shot in the dark was merely for genalogical information, from anyone why may happen to have a nibble...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also FWIW

I am aware of some scuttlebutt surrounding the pronunciation of the name 'Milne' as 'Mill'
    - and the addition of the 'S' to signify 'son of'
    All seem to keep to the Ayrshire area, except for one woman (of the generation that crossed the Atlantic) that was from Morayshire. The family name of the other women are, if not mistaken, traditionally from Aberdeenshire, and in the case of 'Jamison' from Bute. I also notice there is a town of Millport on the island of Great Cumbrae, which would substantiate a topographical aspect to the patronymic. However, I believe this area is, or was, of Gaelic inhabitants, Port a'Mhuilinn, and I have no reason the believe the males were Gaels, due to the fact that, at some point we became Covenanters.

tbc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darin L

Clear your personal messages brother!
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson