X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Scotland to Bonnie and then to me

Just sent a package to Bonnie Greene so she can do her magic. Jennifer and I recently got back from Scotland, write up and photos about that to come on a different thread, and we had a wonderful time. One thing we wanted to do was go to Knockando Wool Mill. We had saved and scrimped to buy some fabric made at Knockando. We also had made a visit to a small store, The Lochcarron Weavers Shop, in Lochcarron, Ross-Shire. Of course we were in wool, tweed and tartan heaven. My purpose was to purchase 4 meters of the Knockando tartan for Bonnie to make a kilt. She kindly agreed to take on this commission which means I'll have my second Bonnie Heather Greene kilt. Along with the tartan I purchased a few other bits of fabric, well more than bits. Photos below as proof of purchase.

Photo of 2 meters of Strathspey Tweed-Vorlich for Jennifer (top right), 4 meters of Knockado Tartan (top left), 1 meter Strathspey Sporting Tweed me (bottom right) 1775 Tartan Scarf for Jennifer's mother (bottom left)

Photo of 4 meters Knockado Tartan (bottom right), Strathspey Sporting Tweed 1 meter (top) 3 meters Lochcarron Jacket tweed (bottom left)

One last photo of the tartan with a kilt pin I bought and a Sgian Dubh Jennifer bought me for my birthday. You can see the size of the sette compared to the kit.

All of these fabrics are double width so Jennifer has plenty of tweed to make a skirt and possibly a vest. I plan to make a jacket and vest out of the Lochcarron tweed and a vest out of the Knockado tweed. Of course most important is the fact that Bonnie will hand sew a kilt for me out of the 4 meters of Knockado tartan. I am excited beyond beyond. As is said often around here "the Jonesing begins".

Photos of Bonnie's beautiful work will follow in time, be patient because I have to be.......
    Last edited by brewerpaul; 12th July 15 at 09:35 PM.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very beautiful fabric! Looking forward to seeing the finished products!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resized my photos so they don't take up too much space. They came off my phone and were not sized proper. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of an update as Bonnie has taken the time from her busy kilt making to show me two looks of the front apron. We have bantered back and forth with at least a dozen emails or more and while Bonnie is working on some wedding kilts she has graciously taken the time to snap two photos of what the front of the kilt could look like. She initially sent a photo with the rust stripe as the center stripe and I thought it looked nice. After some more discussion about length and waist size I asked her to fold it with the green/yellow stripe in center. This changed the look completely and that is the way we plan to go. The pleats will be to sett to show off all the wonderful colours of the tartan. Once Bonnie has finished her commitments she plans to work on my kilt. I am patient and know the wait is worth it. Below are the two photos Bonnie sent for my approval.

Initial photo with rust stripe as center.

This is the front apron as it will be made, green/yellow stripe in center.

I just want to add a word here in praise of Bonnie and all the fabulous kilt makers who advertise on XMarks. I already have a tank from Bonnie and two kilts from USA kilts. I am very excited to get another hand made kilt from Bonnie. If you are looking to save up and buy a kilt you have some fantastic options with the fine kilt makers on XMarks. Ive only read about some of the other people but it has always been great praise for wonderful work. We are very fortunate indeed to have such fine craftspeople available to us. I know my kilt will be a thing of beauty and art and I will wear it with pride.

More photos to come as my kilt progresses and of course there will be some when I get to wear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely tartan, and I agree with your choice of a center stripe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think it just seems to "sit better" with the green and orange centered, and that hunk of S410 Hunter tweed from Lochcarron will make an awfully nice jacket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Yes, I think it just seems to "sit better" with the green and orange centered, and that hunk of S410 Hunter tweed from Lochcarron will make an awfully nice jacket.
    Having purchased 3 meters of the Lochcarron tweed a jacket and waistcoat is planned indeed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brewerpaul View Post
    ...and a Sgian Dubh Jennifer bought me for my birthday...
    Off topic, but, great looking Sgian Dubh, what's going on with the blade? Just a reflection?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Profane James View Post
    Off topic, but, great looking Sgian Dubh, what's going on with the blade? Just a reflection?
    Yeah that was just a reflection issue. I still need to spend some time putting and edge on it.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post: