X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is fantastic! Keep it up.

That's a great picture of you and your son too. Looks like a perfect way to spend an afternoon or morning (or both!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and well done! Mrs. usonian and I have been on a similar "get back into shape" regimen over the last 2-3 years. What got me going was showing up at my 20 year high school reunion and being simultaneously appalled by how old and unhealthy a lot of my classmates looked, and a little chagrined at how young and fit some of the others still looked; I was somewhere in between. It was a bit of "use it or lose it" wakeup call; I was pushing 40 and knew that getting and staying in shape is only going to get harder.

Exercise has definitely helped. Couch to 5K is fantastic, and if you have a smartphone there are various free apps available that are really handy for stepping you through the various intervals; walk 5 minutes, run 60 seconds, etc. and don't skimp on shoes! I started C25K with a cheap pair of generic sneakers and hurt my knee after a couple of weeks - once it got better I went to a running shop and got properly fitted for a quality pair of shoes; a good shop can analyze your gait and match you with the right pair. I've had zero problems since.

Diet has really made the huge difference, though... eating better food and less of it. Once you start scrutinizing labels it's really kind of appalling how much sugar there is in everything in the U.S., especially stuff that's marketed as "healthy".

The only downside is that I've shrunk out of a couple of cherished kilts! I really need to sell my tank so I can buy the tartan to make its replacement, but I'm still trying to drop another 10 pounds or so, which would make about 60 total.
    Last edited by usonian; 22nd July 15 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by usonian View Post
    Mrs. usonian and I have been on a similar "get back into shape" regimen over the last 2-3 years.
    Good for you! I wish I had started 10 years ago, but better late than never

I'm right with you on the C25K, shoes, and especially diet. Sounds like you and I have really been in parallel.

Three years ago I weighed 265 pounds/120 kg. I made it down to 205 pounds/93 kg, but I've been averaging about 210 lbs lately. I actually think I gained a little weight in muscle.

I completely agree with you on the sugar. I lost the first 15 pounds just by stopping drinking soda pop. I was shocked! Especially since I didn't drink it every day.

Keep up the good work!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grunthos For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about that couch-to-5K program. About a zillion studies suggest that the overwhelming health benefit is garnered by being able to exercise solidly for about as long as it takes to run a 5K. Marathons are great but they don't help you live longer. 3x a week cardio and being able to run 5K nonstop, absolutely does.

I did a few 5k's and 10k's back in the late 80's; I really liked the 10K distance. Not that I was fast, mind you. I never got under 40 minutes but going out for a 35-45 minute training run was SO good for the inside of my head.

Good on ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5K's are kinda hard to find any more, Alan. Try going to Active.com which lists races near to you. In Maine we have the Kilted Canter 5K race put on by the Belfast Rotary every year on the Saturday of our Celtic celebration. I ran in my 5.11 kilt again this year and again made sure no one was behind me. But hey, I did better than everyone who stayed home on the couch.

Steve Wilson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done to all that ran this year! We look forward to having you and the family visit us the Last Tuesday Kilted Night Out, our monthly kilted gathering for fellowship and food at the Horse Brass Pub on SE Belmont. Look for the announcement just before the last Tuesday of the month.

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tky58 View Post
    5K's are kinda hard to find any more, Alan. Try going to Active.com which lists races near to you.
    Here in the Portland OR area the 5K races are quite popular.

Just found about a new one coming in September called "Portland Kilted Run" http://www.portlandkiltedrun.com/

Also in September is a 5K run at the Kelso highland games, not far from Portland http://www.kelso.gov/visitors/highlander-festival

Thanks for the tip on active.com; I'll check it out too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grunthos:

Congrats on the run and the progress in your fitness journey. I was there, watching from the stands. The solo piping was early in the AM and after, I sought shade to watch you lot run the track. Bravo! It was a hot day for Portland, don't you think? Best of luck for the future.

JMB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blupiper View Post
    Bravo! It was a hot day for Portland, don't you think?
    Thanks! Yes, it sure was hot!! The weatherman on TV said that this July set the record for most number of days over 90F in Portland.

I spend all winter lamenting the cold bleary drizzle, so I can't complain about a hot summer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tky58 View Post
    5K's are kinda hard to find any more, Alan. Try going to Active.com which lists races near to you. In Maine we have the Kilted Canter 5K race put on by the Belfast Rotary every year on the Saturday of our Celtic celebration. I ran in my 5.11 kilt again this year and again made sure no one was behind me. But hey, I did better than everyone who stayed home on the couch.

Steve Wilson
    OOPS! I meant 10Ks are kind of rare. 5Ks seem to dominate.
    Sorry,
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12