X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Kilted mile, at age 48!

I ran my first Kilted Mile race ever, along with my son, two days ago at the Portland Highland Games in Portland, Oregon.

I spent several decades letting myself get fat and lazy. About 3 years ago my wife and I decided we wanted to live and started exercising and eating healthier food. Well, she was ahead of me in figuring it out, and I realized she was right. I started exercising at the gym with a variety of weights and machines, but no real running.

At last year's games I decided I would run in this year's race. At that time I could only run about one city block, gasping for air.

My wife and I started training using the Couch-to-5k program. It is a step-by-step plan that takes you from running 60 seconds up to running a full 5K distance, in small increments over a period of several months. It has really worked well for us. My wife has an old knee injury that has been difficult for her, but she still has been able to run more than she expected by using the C-to-5k.

Three months ago I ran a mile for the first time in 30 years, in 10 minutes. Over the last 3 month's I've been working on improving it.

At the games I ran the mile in 7:10, my best mile time so far since I was a teenager. I even came in second place in the Men's 40-49 category. My son ran with me, and he can out-run me, but he paced me in the race and we had a good time together.

It was really hot at the games: 95 deg F = 35 deg C, but it felt great to achieve it!

My wife has also gone from hardly-able-to-run a year ago, to running a mile in 9:23 a week ago. Her knee wasn't cooperating on the Games day, but she is still happy with her progress so far.

Next up: My wife and I are going to run a 5k soon with a few of our adult kids. I just heard there's a Portland Kilted 5K in September

2. The Following 14 Users say 'Aye' to Grunthos For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! That is a real accomplishment and one you can build on. Keep up the great work.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! Is the kilted mile a common part of the games, or specific to Portland?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    Well done! Is the kilted mile a common part of the games, or specific to Portland?
    First, let me say WELL DONE Gronthos! My son and I were watching the race from the stands that afternoon! Always one of our favorite events to see.
    Wareyin: the announcer told us that the Portland Highland Games were "the first" to run a kilted mile in 1991.... This event has since become very popular at many other Highland Games around the country!
    Last edited by MrLion; 20th July 15 at 07:43 PM. Reason: grammer

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MrLion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done and you both look great in your kilts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Thumbs Up!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you and your wife! Seems like you have raised a good son, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, a sub 8 minute pace is a great pace regardless of the distance run. I have not seen those times in a while. I have dropped around 15 lbs over the last 4 months or so. And I am hoping I can get my pace back down to the sub 10 minute pace by the time Christmas rolls around.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    Good question.

PHGA has a story that it traces its roots back to Scottish king Malcolm III. See http://www.phga.org/competitive-events/kilted-mile/ I don't know how true that is but it's a nice story

I know there are other Highland Games that do the Kilted Mile, such as San Francisco's annual games in Pleasanton, but I don't know how far they go back or how common it is.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grunthos For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast