X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you familiar with "Buttonhole Twist"?

Many years ago, I was taught some elementary "Survival Sewing for Military Men" by a gruff Chief Boatswain's Mate. Said Chief insisted that the one true and proper thread for virtually any repair was "Buttonhole Twist" which, being twisted from two yarns of silk, was sturdier than virtually any other thread of similar diameter. I imagine that the twist, resembling naval cordage, appealed to his aesthetic sensibilities as well.

Over the years I have replaced innumerable buttons with this stuff and can honestly say that I never recall losing one that had been sewn on with "twist." I've also used it to repair rents in various articles, do an emergency trouser hem and the like. Never had cause to complain of the outcome.

Downside: It is pricy and hard to find. Being twisted, it is subject to tangling unless you keep some light tension on it. Also, I have learned to have a sharp knife or scissor available to cut it, as trying to break the stuff manually is doomed to failure and is liable to result in a nasty cut.

Has anyone else ever used this stuff? If so, what for?
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some to try hand-worked buttonholes, realized I need a LOT more practice.

Have used it to hand-sew leather, seemed a good choice.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Z-twist silk buttonhole thread is also sometimes used for fly tying or bead stringing.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...tonhole%20Silk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VINTAGE-S...item58c8fe2c06

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a large reel of it in my tin of threads and have used it for many makings and repairs.

It is what I use to attach the straps and buckles on kilts. I usually remove them for washing, and sometimes reuse the thread, as it is usually still sitting by the machine when I have dried the kilts.

I used it to repair bicycle seats on 'chopper' cycles way back when they were all the rage, and more recently started to revamp an antique bowler hat as it is the most appropriate and closest to the original thread used on it.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I use it to make buttonholes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Breecher View Post
    Funny, I use it to make buttonholes.
    What a novel idea!
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buttonhole Twist

Oh my gosh...a mention from my past. Yes, my paternal grandmother taught me how to make buttonholes by hand using it. Harder than the dickens! I seem to remember she waxed it. Her name was Mary Louvenia but she was known by Louvenia her whole life. She made shirts for the workers in the oilfields on her treadle sewing machine, but had to make the buttonholes by hand. Sold the shirts for $1.75 making a dollar profit on each. Wow, how times change. She taught me how to sew, for which I am very grateful.