X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Atlanta, GA

Hey just a quick hello. I've been lurking on the board for a bit trying to decide about a first kilt and reading up on the history and designs more.

I figure my first one I don't mind being cheaper, see how I like it and hopefully it will hold up for things such as hash circles (http://onin.com/hhh/ if you don't know about hashing) and then working around the house and yard. Working out a lot more again too so that would buy me some time to invest in a better one.

And evidently finding anything but the Ancient Hunting design for Clan Galloway is rather difficult.

So howdy.

**Michael

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Michael, and welcome.

There are seven Tartans registered with the Scottish Tartans Authority under the name Galloway. These are not clan Tartans in the sense of a Scottish Highland Clan. They are to represent the Scottish District.

The Galloway Hunting Tartan, ITI #1467 is described as an "Everyday Tartan". Ancient simply refers to a color variation.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 2nd August 15 at 12:39 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Rhode Island

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble!"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings from Alabama! My uncle (in law) and his family on my mothers side is a Galloway..

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a fellow Atlantan! If you haven't checked them out, we have Atlanta Kilts up in Gwinnett. They do offer a Galloway Hunting Tartan that you can order. As a word of advice, I just ordered a Buchanan modern, and the tartan on their site was not the tartan they had in stock. If you're interested, I'd recommend going in person to see the tartan.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Michael!

Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Hello Michael, and welcome.

There are seven Tartans registered with the Scottish Tartans Authority under the name Galloway. These are not clan Tartans in the sense of a Scottish Highland Clan. They are to represent the Scottish District.

The Galloway Hunting Tartan, ITI #1467 is described as an "Everyday Tartan". Ancient simply refers to a color variation.

Ah ok that makes sense considering the county later named as well. And wow 7, the most I'd found is a maybe 4, I'll need to look more thoroughly. Thanks!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met Michael. I agree with Wareyin about Atlanta Kilts as a possible first stop for you. Remember that your first kilt doesn't always have to be a clan tartan. Find a pattern that relates to you personally (since it will endure hashing). Explore the family patterns for that "heirloom" and work toward getting that one later.
    You'll still have a kilt to knock about in and enjoy the curse of the addiction kilting provides. Welcome from Oxford.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Atlantan! If you haven't checked them out, we have Atlanta Kilts up in Gwinnett. They do offer a Galloway Hunting Tartan that you can order. As a word of advice, I just ordered a Buchanan modern, and the tartan on their site was not the tartan they had in stock. If you're interested, I'd recommend going in person to see the tartan.
    Ah great. I had found them in a quick search for the non full on wool kilts as a first, cheaper option. I may have to arrange a trek on up to see them then. Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast