X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ancestry.com commercial

My wife and I were watching the T.V. recently and we caught an Ancestry.com Ad. The commercial featured a gentleman who grew up with the idea his roots were German but after doing DNA research through Ancestry he found he was actually of Scottish decent. He now wears a kilt instead of lederhosen.

He was shown wearing the full rig my wife said . When I asked if she could tell which tartan the reply was no but it was blue. So has anyone that has seen said commercial been able to identify the tartan involved?

Slainte'
    Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant my LeaderDog Extrodinaire!
    May all your blessings be the ones you want and your friends many and true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about this commercial?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7c4Y/ancestrydna-lederhosen

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Thekiltedmohawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekiltedmohawk View Post
    Are you talking about this commercial?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7c4Y/ancestrydna-lederhosen
    The one we've been seeing definately says "scottish" but this is simular to it. Sorry I can't provide a link to the ad in question.

Slainte'
    Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, you should have Sir Brinkley look into the Genealogical Searches here on the site and then the thread "You'd think they know better." This commercial was discussed and some interesting points brought up.
    I remember Sir Brinkley likes a treat now and again but is wary of his diet. Maybe this time a morsel can be over looked and enhance his exuberance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem nobody told the guy in the commercial (in the link above) that the pleats go in the back. Yikes!
    Last edited by 416 Rigby; 15th August 15 at 10:00 PM. Reason: fat fingers

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 416 Rigby For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help! My wife said she only caught a momentary glance of the kilt before it disappeared and what stuck for some reason was blue and no details.
    I have read the other thread which of course shed some more light on the subject. My thanks for steering me to it!

I have done the DNA test and found Irish, Scandinaven, and Great Britan and was told that to break the "Great Britan down I'd have to submit the DNA to someone doing this there as the. So I wondered how they could say "scottish" . Oh well.

Slainte'

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Thanks for the help! My wife said she only caught a momentary glance of the kilt before it disappeared and what stuck for some reason was blue and no details.
    I have read the other thread which of course shed some more light on the subject. My thanks for steering me to it!

I have done the DNA test and found Irish, Scandinaven, and Great Britan and was told that to break the "Great Britan down I'd have to submit the DNA to someone doing this there as the. So I wondered how they could say "scottish" . Oh well.

Slainte'
    Actually, it's a small island, so just saying "British" is probably as accurate as necessary for all practical purposes.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Actually, it's a small island, so just saying "British" is probably as accurate as necessary for all practical purposes.
    ...except that "British" isn't accurate. DNA testing shows where you are from - English tend to be Angles, Scotland has more Saxons, Wales and Cornwall are descended from the Britons, the Irish were talented enough to know how to swim away from the English. 😧

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...e-Britons.html

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just isn't that simple

And there are other studies looking at straight paternal (y chromosome) and straight maternal (mitochondrial dna) that show that most "invading" groups were primarily male, and married the indigenous Picts. And the likelihood of considerable admixture from Scandinavian and Irish sources from raiders to groups living near the coast can't be discounted. My own paternal line is documented as being several centuries in Wales, but we are largely genetic Vikings. Most of the studies recently seem to show that the "folk migrations" that archeologists and historians speak of were more large scale, semi permanent raids by second sons and other adventurers, who didn't bring along their own women, any more than the Romans did.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    And there are other studies looking at straight paternal (y chromosome) and straight maternal (mitochondrial dna) that show that most "invading" groups were primarily male, and married the indigenous Picts.
    Yes one gets very different results according to whether it's the female or male side that's being studied! That happened big time with studies of Melungions.

I'm fascinated by the hybrid Gaelic-Pictish place names in Scotland, which points to extensive mixing of the two peoples. One sees the same thing in the old Danelaw: hybrid English-Norse place names.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast