X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folks Seem To Remember Kilted Gents Well

So for the past ten years I've been attending a professional training conference in Tucson, AZ every August. Kilted of course. Great conference of 1,000 addictions therapists. Attraction is great presenters and getting all the necessary annual training done in one place in one week.

This year, some recent surgery precluded wearing kilts to the conference so I'm here in cargo shorts. From the time I first pulled up to the hotel staff was asking, "Where's your kilt?" As peer therapists began arriving they all asked the same thing, "Where's the kilt?" I am amazed at the source of that questions. Folks I "know" from the conference, but don't know personally.

The conference has always had a heavy Native American attendance and many of the "where's the kilt?" questions are coming from Apache and Navajo men and women.

Guess its further proof that kilts make a positive lasting impression.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thud.......

Comments continued today....next year will return kilted....
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it seems in my travels the hotels know me as the guy in the kilt long before they remember my name. hehe

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Gibtron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always Remembered

I teach CPR classes wearing a kilt every day and I see the same thing. People sometimes can't remember my name, but they always remember the CPR instructor that wears the kilt, lol.
    RC Anderson, Ph.D. WH6FQE
    Board Member - Saint Andrew Society of Hawaii and the Hawaiian Scottish Association
    Member - Caledonian Society of Hawaii
    Radio Relay International DTN Pacific Region Hub

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RCAnderson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've never met (except here). I've seen your kilts and enjoyed all the photo treks you've shown us. The conference attendees will now remember you as the kilted, surgically enhanced peer.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michele and I eat out often. We also tend to tip well for good service. The combination of my being in the kilt, and tipping well results in wait staff quickly remembering us, and being eager to be assigned to our table.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

11. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    So for the past ten years I've been attending a professional training conference in Tucson, AZ every August. Kilted of course. Great conference of 1,000 addictions therapists. Attraction is great presenters and getting all the necessary annual training done in one place in one week.

This year, some recent surgery precluded wearing kilts to the conference so I'm here in cargo shorts. From the time I first pulled up to the hotel staff was asking, "Where's your kilt?" As peer therapists began arriving they all asked the same thing, "Where's the kilt?" I am amazed at the source of that questions. Folks I "know" from the conference, but don't know personally.

The conference has always had a heavy Native American attendance and many of the "where's the kilt?" questions are coming from Apache and Navajo men and women.

Guess its further proof that kilts make a positive lasting impression.
    Take it as a complement that they recognise you without your kilt. I've found people, from previous conferences, that I don't remember, recognise me because of the kilt, but I am never sure whether they would without it. But maybe they have a better memory for faces than I have. Not difficult. I have also found there is also a disproportionate amount of interest from ethnic minorities.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This afternoon the conference photographer grabbed me coming out of a training workshop and asked to take my photo for their newsletter as someone who's been coming to the conference for many years....she also commented on the kilt but wanted the "old timer" photo more.

A workshop asked for my "mission statement" in two words....its "RETIRE SOON." Too old for this stuff.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Michele and I eat out often. We also tend to tip well for good service. The combination of my being in the kilt, and tipping well results in wait staff quickly remembering us, and being eager to be assigned to our table.
    Boy is that true. I've seen arguments over who works my table. It's all true. (Except for the part about eating with someone named Michele)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    <snip> I've found people, from previous conferences, that I don't remember, recognise me because of the kilt, but I am never sure whether they would without it. <snip>
    I also found that at repeat conferences but sometimes quicker. When we were selling our house in the UK, I was at a typical IT conference, 300+ delegates, a mixture of business suits and "jeans and tees", plus one gentleman from the subcontinent in traditional dress and one kilted delegate (me).

Our property lawyer needed to contact me very urgently, so my better half phoned the conference reception desk to ask if they could find me? The receptionist explained that would be difficult among 300 delegates - until my wife mentioned I was wearing my kilt. "Oh, right," said the receptionist and 10 minutes later, I was on the phone to the lawyer !
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to WillowEstate For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast